Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SE crashing returing from a sketch

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhits

Military
Feb 3, 2005
US
I am just wondering if anyone out there has had problems with Solid Edge crashing, "returning" from a sketch. Every time or every other time I am in a sketch and print, I crash. This can be up to 5-8 times a day. It gets very frustrating redoing all my work. Also if there is a solution (other than not printing a sketch) I would love to know. I am using V20, and the printer is a Toshiba e-STUDIO 4500c. Any comments or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well I use them for reference as well as changes to models from previous designs. I do a lot of concept work, and I can either save a different assy, (which loads the server and gets IT on my back) or print the sketches in case I need to return to a previous concept. Oh I should also say I get like 3-5 days to do a 13M assy, from scratch.

Could you copy the sketches into another part file or even onto a draft, to save them ?
If it only has sketches in it, it will be a small file and you can always copy them back again.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Don't know if this is of any help, but as a matter of course I do layout sketches in a part as opposed to using sketches within the assembly. The part only contains sketches and is the first part in the assembly.

The logic is that you can potentially use a part copy to drive layout sketches or frames. It is possible this workflow would be safer - but I have never printed sketches so I can't say for sure.
Tony

In my experience, I have found that saving sketches in dft documents saves space, and you can also copy past into part files very easily. This reduces the time you would need to "re-draw" the sketch from paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back