Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SE custom templates gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew0622

Mechanical
Mar 29, 2011
US
We just reinstalled SE on my new CPU. I copied all my custom templates over to the TEMPLATES directory (i.e. my companies title block, etc). However, the only templates that show when I start up SE are standard templates that come with the program. Any idea on how to get these to show?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't see your templates only on start-up screen? Do you see the temlate, if you click on File/New command?
If you can see those templates in file/new dialogbox, you have to do this:
1. in start-up screen, you see the section with standard templates
2. just belowt the template selection, you will see Edit Creation Option. Click on this link.
3. now click on Browse in new dialog box.
4. Select your template
5. now type the name of your template in Displayed name line and click on Add.
6. you can type something in Description, if you want.
7. Click on OK
That way you will add your templates to the start-up screen and ApplicationButton/New menu.
Hope, that this helps.

I don't see my templates anywhere. They are in the TEMPLATE sub-directory. I followed your instructions, when I browse in the NEW Dialog box....nothing there?

I might have to re-install SE?

Did you copy yout templates to C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST5\Template directory?
Check the Solid Edge Options/File Location. There, you can set path for User Templates, if you have copied your templates to any other directory then the default one.

I'm looking at the Create Screen, nothing there. Then I try Edit Create Options, Browse, and look at every tab, i.e. User, More, Quicksheet, etc....nothing there.

If I use exploer, go to my SE directory, I do find all the templates. I'm having to open, say my part template and then doing a SAVEAS to get started.

What OS are you using? I'm thinking that Vista and possibly Win7 would try and virtualize user editable files that were located in the Program Files subfolders. This does not work properly with Solid Edge and turning UAC OFF was the fix or installing SE to another location outside of Program Files or creating a template folder outside of Program Files in this specific case.

Ken G.

Have you checked out the Solid Edge Community site?

that worked!! I moved my templates to another directory outside of SE. I then selected that directory in SE options. I was able to re-load my templates 1 at a time and BOOM they are there and functioning properly.

Thanks again!!

drew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back