Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SE Exam New format April 2024 23

Sam1993

Structural
Jan 12, 2022
EG
Hi guys,
Anyone here sit for the SE exam with the new format?
please tell us about your experience, it will be helpful for SE takers
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did not, but know of two engineers who did...both were completely 'gutted'. One was a 3+ years experience, and the other 15+ years experience. Both intelligent engineers who were frustrated by the CB format, including the difficulty and variability of the search functionality of the supplied references, the whiteboard/eraser for hand calcs, question/s without full dimensions etc.

Ingenuity, I understand the frustration of the CBT format. I can't imagine "flipping through" chapter 8, chapter 22, and chapter 25 of ACI 318 just for a slab design. Hopefully, the exams is tailored in a way to make it easier to review the reference materials.

Nonetheless, I feel the NCEES practice test will give you a better feel of the new exams format so you can check that out

thank you all for your responses any more experiences?
and usually how long does it take for the results to be revealed?

No I haven't take it yet, But I didn't hear any experience other than the listed above
if it is one week why passing rates is not updated on their website?
last results date is Jan 2024
Screenshot_2024-06-06_120937_sjdx0w.png

The depth section is only administered twice a year, and takes up to 2 months to grade. They will probably update the pass rate in July 2024 after the grades for April 2024 depth exams are released.

Passing rates probably aren't updated because it's NCEES, and updating their website doesn't make them more money. My boss received some advance passing data for Washington State and there were zero passes for bridge lateral depth according to him, but I haven't reviewed it myself. Apparently the AASHTO code was barely bookmarked at all which sounds like a nightmare.

I plan on taking the SE exam in 1-2 years so I'd appreciate some more perspectives too. Most of what I've seen online is negative, but obviously people that pass are less likely to take to the internet to vent.

HDSTRUCRURAL, that is what I thought maybe in July
plausibly_civil, Zero WOW,If you can share with us any experience you saw or web links, It will be a great helpful

In case anyone from NCEES is reading this thread, in my mind there's an obvious solution. Allow people to bring their own pdfs on a thumb drive. Then they can keep their own bookmarks, highlights, notes, etc in the codes as they were previously allowed to with hard copies. And for most of us, I think that mimics the way we work nowadays anyway. I basically only use pdfs of codes (aside from the AISC manual) with my own bookmarks and highlights. It also mimics the format which was previously allowed to bring your own notes (you could have notes in Word files on your drive too).

I can't see why they don't allow this. It would have allowed a lot more continuity when switching over formats, and I think it is more realistic for how engineers work.

I'm thankful I took the last batch of pen and paper Civil PE exams, and no plans to take the SE

I agree BridgeEngineer21. Something needs to change about it.

I took the SE in Oct 2021 / Apr 2022. One of the most important parts of studying was tabbing up all of the codes and practice problems. The tests would have been significantly harder if I couldn't have brought my own material. I don't know if I would take the test today, definitely would be less likely to given the format and longer length.

BridgeEngineer21 said:
Allow people to bring their own pdfs on a thumb drive
unfortunately, exam centers are operated by 3rd parties. Also, who will be liable when there's a virus/malfunction and people can't complete the exams? I don't think that will work out perfectly since security is one of the reasons for making it CBT.

There is no way anyone will ever allow a USB drive into a testing center. I just took the CBT PE and it isn't great but honestly you should know where to look already for most things.

Yes, you're right! @CanwestEng

Even though I haven't test SE CBT, I want to believe the exam is set up in a way to be compatible with PDF codes and standard materials....I want to believe that.
I know a lot of people miss having their own booked books because of muscle memory and familiarity of their own materials. The best part, you get to bring a material with solved problems as reference....
Sorry ladies and gents, sadly, those days are gone.

I hope it went well, Canwesteng. Congrats and all the best!

As someone who took the bridge lateral that is not what I wanted to hear. I would not be surprised if the pass rate is less than 10%. I'm not Washington based so I guess there's a chance I passed?

No personalized references or sketching details. It appears that NCEES is less about merit and more about reducing the cost of administering the tests.

I’m in Illinois, passed the building vertical pencil and paper format in 2023. I sat for the first CBT building lateral depth portion in April. No results yet but I am not hopeful in the slightest. As stated earlier, the new format takes away tabbing. We were able to search codes by table of contents but you can’t create custom tabs. There’s only one monitor and one code open at a time and you have to share half that monitor screen with the exam problems. Proctors said the exam would prompt us to take a break at the halfway mark for which the exam timer would be paused, mine did not, and there is ZERO time to waste raising your hand for the proctor (who may or may not be paying attention) over. The questions seemed incomplete and the level of complexity was not adjusted to balance out the additional time needed for referencing the codes/specifications.

My boss is part of the group that set the cut score for the CBT breadth format. They had an advantage because their exam was paper so they at least got their whole monitor for the codes.

Plausibly_civil - I looked at the Spring edition of the BRPELS newsletter. In October 2023 (pen and paper), no one that registered through BRPELS passed the SE Lateral Bridges exam. Absolutely wild as I would have thought that WA bridge SE applicants would be more prepared than those from other states.

I am betting that NCEES has the results. They met on June 7-8 to discuss the exam according to their 2024 licensure exchange publication. I think they are wondering how to not look bad when the pass rates are probably at their lowest ever.

Back