Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SE exam results - You've got to be kidding me. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACoussens

Structural
Dec 15, 2006
US
This was the second time I took the exam. The first time I did not study - I took it as a practice to see where I needed to focus. I was satisfied with my results even though I did not pass. In fact, all of the loads determination areas I got 100s in the three areas. I studied for this time, but my scores were SLASHED IN HALF! The only one that stayed the same was one of the loads determination - the other 100s were now in the 50s!

I am having a really hard time believing that I retarded 25-50% in my knowledge of structural analysis. I seem to remember several problems that were basically plug and chugs that I checked multiple times but could never come up with an answer on their list.

Anyone else fall in this category or do I need to step back and re-evaluate?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used to teach test prep for Kaplan and Princeton Review. I've seen crashes like this before. Sometimes folks just have a bad day on the wrong day.

Test-taking is a skill unto itself. Real-time simulation helps. Simulate test conditions as closely as you can, including time.

Also practice specific problem types. Line up a few of the same type of problem in a row and do them one after the other. Practice the way you organize your solutions for common problem archtypes.

Get plenty of sleep. Not just the night before, but two nights before. Actually, it's the sleep two nights before that has a greater impact on performance.

Sounds like you came in with overconfidence. I think you need to start with the basics and cover ALL aspects of the test and get plenty of practice.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

You can take it 3 times before they require you to go back and take classes.

Its like any other exam, you're not going to get the same results every time, nor are the question distributions the same every time. Not sure why you're that surprised. Since you didn't say you studied you butt off, I'm assuming you really didn't put in the required 100+ hours required to do well.

Gymmeh,

I took the FE in the spring of 2005 and got the "results" back in the fall. However, the "results" was just a letter saying I passed with an overall score. No breakdown of different areas, or even the morning (general) and afternoon (I took mechanical) portions. Just one number.

If you are asking for an exam taken recently, such as this last spring, I appologize for the misunderstanding. My only response would be to expect it to take what they say (I think it's 10-12 weeks?). I know it was getting close to the end of their stated time period to receive results and I was getting concerned (since I had graduated and moved between taking the test and getting results) before I got mine.

- MechEng2005

OK, I didn't go in there overconfident the second time.
No, without going into details, I cannot study "my butt" off. However, I did sacrifice the clean, toys-picked-up house, quickest "meals" were PBJ and mac&cheese for a year. Get the drift?

That's why I studied basic principals (loads, statics, and made sure my books were tabbed,etc.) for the first try. The second time, I focused a lot on the completely new setup in the new AASHTO, reviewing code changes, as well as going through 3 recommended, up to date books of examples (in which I found a couple ambiguous questions and several outright errors where they forgot to use the new codes). I ate/slept the same before both of the exams and I am not the one to get uptight over tests/public speeches or the like until after the fact. Atomic25 - thank you for making me feel worse with your assumptions.

What I'm asking is, did anyone else feel their scores reflect on the test setup, or on their actual knowledge of structural concepts? Again, I have a real hard time believing I can drop from 100 on one test to 56 on the next test only 6 months later in the same exact area, and this was not the only area that my scores saw a drastic reduction.

Like I said, the question distribution is not exact for each exam. Maybe you got 1 of 1 correct on the first exams, but only 1 of 2 correct on the second. Or maybe they had several "gimmies" in the other areas you received 100%'s. Speaking as someone who took and passed the SE1 and SE2, know the basics really well. Sounds like you're studying too much of the ambiguous details that really dont get asked. This exam is very broad and detailed, so scores can be all over the place.

Personally, I chose to study light on AASHTO and do well in the things I do day to day...buildings. Seemed like no matter how hard I studied that beheamouth of a code I would never be proficient enough at it in the exam.

Many of the questions are set-up so that the stupid answer from a dumb mistake is one of the multiple-choice options. Perhaps you didn't catch them this time.

you can take the test as many times as needed to pass, NCEES dosn't have a limit.

There are no additional classes to take after you have been accepted.

...the application for PE/SE license is only good for 3 years. If you do not pass within the 3 year period, you need to completely re-apply as a new applicant. Some states also require a wait period to re-apply. Research this through NCEES links to various Boards.

The OP should quit whining and learn from his/her previous two mistakes. A (very) big part of becoming a PE/SE is taking responsibility for your actions. Not studying, at all, on the first try and a "partial" preparation for the second try is a cavalier attitude and obviously not a successful method for the OP.

The SE1 is indeed a very difficult exam (harder than the SE2) given its shear breadth of codes and materials and the ridiculous time constraint. This exam(s) does not really reflect if you are a "good" SE in the "real world" because you do not get any credit, at all, for a concrete column design in the real world that is 83% right. An eight hour exam like that is not a true measure of one's engineering skills; it is a measure of one's ability to pass a test on that particular day based on certain design codes. Passing the SE1 (and SE2) is a fair measure to become licensed though, because we all have to take this somewhat unrealistic exam(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back