Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SE or PE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateB

Structural
Aug 16, 2002
US
When are you considered an SE? I have passed the Structural I exam and I am liscensed in VA. Do I use SE or PE? Do I need to pass S2 in order to be an SE?

Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd appreciate feedback from TX engineers on this one...

I have passed the str1, and only the str1 exam. I know I can't put the initals SE after my name because texas doesn't have a seperate license. But, the online PE roster indicqates that i have passed the str1 exam. So, can I sign documents as

STRMike, P.E.
Structural Engineer

A Texas opinion...

Sure, sign it "STRMike, P.E., Structural Engineer." If you're a licensed engineer, you can call yourself an "engineer." If you want to clarify that with "Structural," "Civil," or "Cajun," no problem since there's not a rule or regulation saying otherwise.

I've even seen people sign "So and so, P.E., S.E." I don't see a conflict, since there's no S.E. designation in Texas. If this person is a licensed S.E. in some state that has an S.E. designation, then I don't think you're being deceptive or dishonest.

Likewise if you meet NCEES's requirements for the M.L.S.E., which I don't believe any state actually recognizes: "So and so, P.E., M.L.S.E."

If you're in a state that doesn't license engineers specifically as "S.E.," then you have no need to use it, unless you just want to use it to show you're licensed as an S.E. in some other state.

If you want some extra letters, get the M.L.S.E. It's an NCEES-recognized certification, so no state should have a problem with it.

Throughout my career (U.S. west coast), the credentials after an engineer's name have historically only included legal state registrations. For example: John Doe, PE. Or John Doe, PE, SE if the state recognizes structural engineering as a distinct specialty in addition to the basic PE license.

Including certifications or degrees has been considered pretentious (although sometimes Ph.D. is appropriate if it's in an educational context). But lately I have been seeing people listing an alphabet soup of abbreviations after their name such as: John Doe, PE, MS, SECB, MLSE, FASCE, LEED AP. Kind of makes me wonder who they're trying (very hard) to impress.

To STRMike: I think what you wrote is fine. I passed teh str1 exam like you as well, though I just put PE at the end of mine.

Looking back, I am not sure if I would have taken the civil exam over the str1 exam if I had to do over again. Fortunately, CA let me take their special seismic and special surveying exam but accepted the national str1 in place of the national civil. I am not sure if all states will allow this or not. Hawaii told me I had to go take the civil exam if I wanted to be a civil engineer there. Maybe they just don't like howlies.

when can we put the PE at the end of our name? after we get our numbers? or can we put it on after we know we've passed? i know it's a mere formality, but you know the deal, lol.

I put it there as soon as the state sent me my number via email. If your state approves your application pending the P&P exam, then I guess passing is the last thing.

We still have nothing in writing from the state here in TX.

Texas requires your final fee and seal impression before you can technically use the "PE" after your name, or seal drawings. Ironic, then, that they address your licensure packet to "John Doe, P.E. 99999".

Actually, the final fee was paid with the application. I don't think they restrict the use of the PE designation once you complete the qualifications (application, fee, exams).

The email I received on the day they posted grades:

"Congratulations! You have received a passing grade on the October 2006 PE exam. Your grade is available on the board website at
"Your PE number is: xxxxx

"The next step in the licensure process is to create an official seal and to return a copy of the seal imprint and a photograph to the board. To expedite this process, please find attached the instructions for creating a seal and the seal imprint form that you need to return to the board.

"YOU CANNOT OFFICIALLY SIGN OR SEAL DOCUMENTS UNTIL YOU HAVE RETURNED THIS SEAL IMPRINT INFORMATION.

"We will be printing your official certificate and other information and sending it to you via regular mail in the next few weeks."

I received an email today:

"Congratulations on your licensure as a Professional Engineer in the state of Texas!

"The board has received and accepted your sample seal and photograph. The licensure process is now complete. You may stamp and seal documents according to the law and rules of the Texas Engineering Practice Act and the Texas Board of Professional Engineers."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back