Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SE Working Directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superslinky

Automotive
Sep 26, 2005
US
Hey all, I'm having some trouble changing my working directory. Long story short my boss wanted all assemblies moved to a "Assy" folder and all part files moved to a "Part" directory. So now when I open the assembly of course it can't find the parts. How do I fix this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nevermind I figured it out. I guess as a note to other users to do this you need to use the revision manager. The way to access the revision manager is to use Windows Explorer to navigate the the document in question, right click on it and then select revision manager. Pretty easy but if you don't know where it is it can be difficult.

It is probably best to use revision manager... but you can also fix lost part references by going to Edit...Links.

The dialog box is laid out a little irritatingly but if you drag the Source file column wider you should be able to find the entry for your missing part. Select it, click change source and you will then be able to find your part and all will be well :)

Revision manager is the way to go. Also in my experience a flatter file structure is typically more robust & less prone to broken links so while you may not have much say, your boss may be causing lots of future hours with revision manager.

I say this having been here till midnight the last 2 days using revision manager to move files around that are ready for release due to oure $^$%#$ file management.

Of course if you/we had a PDM/PLM system...

By the way, from within SE open file window you can open with revision manager, you don't have to navigate with explorer.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Oh yeah, if you have draft files in the mix too then where used function in SE will be a life saver, if it's not too late.

Well I used the revision manager to create a copy of my assembly to the new location and it worked like a charm. I was able to copy everything then go back and delete all the temp files I created during my never ending updates and revisions. Now I have one directory with everything used within the assembly neatly put away. I should note that during my copy process from the revision manager it did create a file in the root of the drive instead of where I told it to go. In the end I ended up cutting that folding and placing it where I wanted it. Once I opened the assy again it was fine and everything was there. It is a pretty nice tool although a bit querky.

Thanks for the tip about the not having to navigate with explorer. Anything to save a couple steps with these huge assemblies is a life saver.

Sadly there isn't a lot of tutorials or other training documentation for rev manager. For those of us stuck without PDM/PLM and who are forced to move stuff around it's a really powerful tool, I'm pretty sure I dont' know half of what I can do.

If anyone does have some training docs or something I'd be interested. I got a little something from SE GTAC but it was a bit canned and of limited use. I've written some myself but it hasn't gotten anywhere yet.

You're right for sure. Hopefully this forum will take off. I would imagine that eventually there will be more users once license's expire. There are a lot of companies that don't keep up on thier maintenance and quite frankly I don't know who can afford it these days. We barely do enough solid edge work to justify buying it to begin with. Seems like these days jobs are few and far between (at least in Detroit).

Do you know who is the moderator of this forum? Seems like it's one of the best kept secrets on the web and could use a little publicity.

Hi Kenat and Superslinky,

Yes, Rev manager is a good tool for us without PDM/PLM systems. Kenat your original brief doc on Rev Man helped me some. It's a shame that it's not been developed further, rev man that is not your document.

I've been using SE on/off since V7, at the moment use V17 & V19 Discovered this forum a few months back, it's a good source of info, tips and techniques.

:)

I'd forgotten I'd posted it here, I can't even remember which one I posted. karmoh could you put a link to remind me and help Superslinky.

CAD admin stuff/training etc ain't a priority for me right now, even though it's a pressing need in the office, so I can't remember where I got to. Not sure where I even put the original word copy - careless I know.

As to Rev man not being developed more - that's cause they used to push you to Insight PDM and now probably Teamcenter express. While Insight probably wasn't a big money earner for them Temacenter Express probably is - or could be - so not much incentive from a business point of view to maximize user benefit for Rev Mgr.

I'd forgotten that thread! I may have something else I can post, I'll see.

I posted some more info to thread562-210643 take a look.

Something else I realized just today (while here till 1am doing data transfer), how useful the select files command is.

Maybe we could build up to a rev manager FAQ.

Suggest what standard workflows/tasks people need to do and maybe we can put something together. I've wanted to do this for my works benefit and getting it peer reviewed may help.

It was only a couple of years ago that I discovered the 'Select Files' command in Rev Manager.
Don't forget you also have 'Deselect Files', and also Find and Replace.
I use these regularly for renaming a whole load of files, such as for a previous customer who copied models and drawings for each new project - the project code, machine code etc was changed for each new set, so it was an easy replace XXXX with YYYY.
It really is worth getting to know rev manager - once you get the hang of it it's really powerfull. The only real way is to practice on dummy files first.
As for superslinky's original question, I would always keep models together and not seperate them into assys & parts.
It can be a good idea to keep drawing seperate though.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back