Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SEABC - Certificate In Structural Engineering Program 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't taken it, it seems like a good option versus an M.Eng. program. I know the issue I hear most commonly is that the course selection isn't focused enough or available enough if you try to pursue extra courses locally. Being able to watch live webcasts of the lectures seems like it would be the way to go, although I always wonder if I was to just allocate x number of hours a week to watching past AISC webinars, etc, if I would get the same/similar knowledge gain. Either way, I'm excited to see what the take is on this from anyone who has experience with it.

@Shotzie I wonder the same thing. I would love to get my hands on the course material for a lot of these courses. I would gladly pay for the material and go through it on my own.

The courses are pretty excellent. As Shotzie speculated, they are uncommonly practical in nature. They also hold considerable weight with employers in the lower mainland and, thus, are great in that respect for folks working there. I've heard of employers actually requesting completion of those courses by applicants. A couple of my favorite texts were garnered via those courses as well. If I ever see Andy Metten on the street, he's getting an uncomfortable hug. Tasers don't frighten me. His book is riddled with errors but still probably the best "how your really do it" steel text book that I know of.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

@KootK have you gotten the ceritficate for completing 12 courses? or did you just do a few of them? or audit them?

KootK said:
A couple of my favorite texts...
Could you name the ones that come to mind?

I do have Andy's book, and found it to be excellent. I've read it cover to cover at this point.

I merely sat in on few of these programs when they were taken by junior engineers with the misfortune to find themselves under my purview with regard to technical development. I'd been around a while by the time that the courses became available so it didn't make much marketing sense for me to pursue them. Post MSc, I spent several of my intermediate years hammering a way at my California SE which took some time. Now nobody cares about my tech skills and it's all about bus dev or management potential.

I like Metten and the Pao concrete text. Pao isn't super interesting theoretically but a) CAN specific which is rare as you know and b) another solid reference for practical design in the office. When people would ask me silly questions, I could usually just point them to a section of that book and things would get back an track w/o a lot of fuss.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

I should probably add that I don't consider any post B.Eng course work to be an efficient way to learn things, SEABC included. With only a couple of notable exceptions, all of the useful stuff that I learned after 2nd year statics came on the job or through my own, independent initiatives. I see M.Eng and the rest as little more than strategic marketing. Which isn't to say that they don't have value that way, particularly in the US. If I had it to do over again, I would have just started my own firm at thirty rather than expending a bunch of needless energy trying to look good on my next performance review. Gotta watch out for those "metrics".

Great information KootK, thank you for responding.

I am leaning towards auditing the courses, simply so I can obtain the course notes and books. I'm not too concerned with getting the certificate, I just want the knowledge.

I've never heard of anyone that's actually gotten the certificate... Honestly, with the way courses are organized and the limited number, it's not practical to do unless you're taking a bunch of courses you don't care about or you spend a decade on it... but really that's not the point. It's to get exposure to different ways of doing things, and introductions to subjects that you otherwise wouldn't touch. They're basically master's level courses with a more practical focus.

It's a good way to keep yourself abreast of parts of structural engineering that you don't regularly do, or to introduce you to different ways of doing things. I'd also normally tell juniors engineers that they should do at least the first seismic course, because the way seismics are taught in university is not necessarily reflective of how it's treated in practice and the quality of university courses on the topic varies.

Value for money, as far as courses go, there isn't much out there that's better. You get 20+ hours of generally solid class time for a few hundred bucks.

I think taking the 12 courses just to get the "certificate" is kind of a senseless pursuit. But the courses themselves are great. You don't need to get the diploma to list SEABC courses on your resume. Take the classes that are of interest to you.

I took the wood course, it was excellent. The prof's moto was "whether you've never designed wood, or you've been designing it for 20 years, this course will have something for everybody." I design wood and took it with a friend who has never touched it, it was a ball. I would highly recommend.

Also tried "C2 effective structural modelling", by the BC hydro guy. The material he taught blew my mind.

Go for it. I've since left Vancouver, but must say the city is blessed to have this program. Great networking to be had there too, if you are the sociable type.

@P205 Let me know if you get any feedback on the auditing process (applicability, fees, etc). Ideally I would like to be able to attend the lectures via web and do assignments/tests remotely as well. The course descriptions make it sound very worthwhile to pick up a one or two courses a term for general professional development (especially with the introduction of the PEAK program in Ontario).

@Shotzie I currently am waiting on a response to a number of questions I had, including the cost of auditing and such. I'm also in Ontario and would be doing the lectures by web.

The cost of auditing is the same as the cost of taking the regular course. If you're going to do it, sign up normally and switch to audit if you realize you don't have time to actually do the courses.

You can do the assignments remotely. They're all submitted electronically anyway. Not sure how the tests work in that case, for courses with tests. I assume it's honour system, or with another professional watching.

@P205 I received an email back. Here are some of the interesting points:

-Out of province students are allowed to attend the webcasts.
-The recorded webcast will be available after for viewing as well as live-viewing during the lecture.
-Typical lecture times are Tuesday or Thursday, 4-6pm PST and 6:30-8:30PM PST.
-Cost is typically $850-$950 (CAD) per course, minus $50 early-bird and SEABC member discounts.
-13 consecutive weeks, with a mid-term break at week 7.
-Homework is submitted online, tests are supervised by colleague, etc.
-Questions can be asked live during the webcast, or emailed to prof afterwords.
-Auditing a few courses here and there is okay, so is going for the full certificate (no deadline to complete requirements for certificate).
-No field trips or lab testing involved (although I saw in some of the course descriptions that they were mentioned).

Seems like a great option, especially with the webcasts being available after hours.

Thank you for the information Shotzie.

I'm definitely going to give these a shot and see how I like it. The descriptions to a lot of the courses look very interesting to me.

@Shotzie Thanks!

I'm not sure why to take, still deciding - E10 Structural Analysis Fundamentals: A Refresher or E13 Computer Software Applications In Structural Engineering.

The first may be a bit basic for me, but I'm sure I'll learn something regardless. I just hope the course notes a really good.

P205,
I am in a similar position. I graduated with a BS in Civil Engineering. After graduation I worked in geotechnical field but my goal is to get a foot through the door into the structural engineering. I did take some MEng level structural engineering courses at a university in Ontario they all too theoretical. Also most of the professors were from academia and no actual related consulting experience. In addition to that, all of the assignments/projects/exams were a repeat from the past semester it was offered. As a result students from large ethnic groups had all of the answers. I met some students who had no clue or idea about SE but still managed to get A's and B's (some courses had no finals just projects and homworks).I was very disappointed in MEng program.
Did you end up taking any of the SEABC - Certificate In Structural Engineering Program courses. How did you like it? Was is practical? Would you recommend it? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back