Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Seal for Florida PE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEFLWI

Structural
Oct 23, 2012
US
Need some help from Florida PEs. The way I read the Florida Rules, I can get a rubber stamp to seal drawings and calcs. At one point I think Florida required an embossed stamp. Is either type of stamp acceptable?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes....rubber stamp seal is acceptable in Florida but be sure you get the correct size. There have been reprimands issued by the Florida Board for having the wrong size seal(I'll stay off my soapbox on how stupid that is)

TME...go to the FBPE website and read the complaints and decisions...some are real eye-openers.

PEFLWI....yes, 1-7/8" is the minimum, whether embossed, digital or ink. Used to be 1-5/8".

Ron: Right after I posted I thought to check their rulings. Looks like they're very aggressive about things. Honestly I kind of like this in one way as it's good to see that following all the rules is worth it to avoid them coming down on you. Some of their findings were highly technical and they clearly will go after someone practicing outside their expertise.

That said; some of those rulings seemed a little stiff (like $1,000 fines for things other boards would ask you to submit some documentation and give you a letter of warning). Definitely annoying that they require specific continuing education providers and that they're so anal about the certificate of authorization for firms (ugh, hate these). Oh well, I'll likely only have a handful of jobs there so if it's not worth it I'll just let my license expire rather than renew.

Ian Riley, PE, SE
Professional Engineer (ME, NH, VT, CT, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

Those truss stampers in FL love to make their seals huge and in bright red!! Its absolute madness! The framers cant read all the chord forces and deflections with a giant stamp on it...unbelievable.:)

TME...I agree. I like the aggressive approach because I think protection of our profession is important. They are pretty good at getting the "plan stampers".

Ron: Definitely a good thing; having to deal with someone right now who designed a concrete tank and clearly was just punching numbers into some out-dated software with no verification of results. Not enough to bring it to the state but I would be more than happy to see a more aggressive action from my local state board to scare these sorts of people into shaping up. I have no problem loosing to fair competition; but people not playing by the rules drag our profession down and steal work.

Ian Riley, PE, SE
Professional Engineer (ME, NH, VT, CT, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back