Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seal seminar

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayhawk

Aerospace
Nov 2, 2006
US
I am looking for information on any industry seal seminars or training classes. I work with various types of mechanical seals in aerospace including face seals, spring energized seals, gasket plate seals, etc. I deal with a variety of sealed fluids including air, skydrol, and hts synthetic jet engine oils. I have looked around but haven't found much, any good recommendations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, rayhawk

Regarding Spring energised seals, you can try on, but this kind of seals are very critical (more for use you intend to do) and, mostly, you might get more information thanks to different cathalogues. (On the other hand, most of these are very focused on how's best is their seal...as mostly do on seal's market)

Since automatic seals are, still, very new, efforts have been made on studying the behave of such seals, instead of how the seal works (by the way, you can find just a few studies trying to guess the mathematics behind a seal)

In any case, any doubt you've got regarding spring-energised seals, I'll be glad to reply to you.

Any of the major seal manufacturers will provide you with training courses tailored to suit your needs.

If you want some good reading, API 682 is a very useful standard which contains a lot of sound advice and information. After that, try the IMechE book "Mechanical Seal Practice for Improved Performance" (you can find it on Amazon).

Hello Rayhawk.

Another place to look into is at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, Georgia. They have a one week class once or twice a year. It is also offered in the UK, but I do not recall the city.

Crush the day and the enjoy the week!

Best Regards,
MECOMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back