Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sealing a leaking acid valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

cawse001

Chemical
Oct 28, 2000
AU
We have a leaking (from the bonnet gasket) diaphragm valve in a conc sulfuric acid duty. Slow drip, low pressure.

Replacement of the valve requires a plant shutdown.

Is anyone aware of a product we could use to seal/encapsulate the valve on line, to see us through until the next planned shutdown?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know we had an acid gas leak on our reaction furnace inlet valve and we used this Bee's Wax Tape and Wax primer to seal up the leak until we could fix the problem at our next plant shutdown. I am not sure if it would work for liquids, but I dont see why not??

Try that! I forget where we got this tape from, but that is an option!

I work as the Design Engineer for SEAL-EX we are out of Edmonton. We seal leaks on-line to avoid unwanted shutdowns. We come across problems like yours all the time.

There are a few options I can let you know of, one option is for us to build a split clamp which bolts around the O.D. of the bonnet. All of our clamps are designed to ASME codes and are registered with the Boiler Assoc. We would then pump our sealants into the gap of the flanges which creates a seal between your raise face and existing gasket to the clamp. This creates a new sealing gasket like a raised face gasket.

Another option would be to do what we call a wire and peen, we take a wire and a peening gun (pnuematic hammer) and peen the wire between the flanges. This takes the place of the clamp in the last option. We would then drill njection holes through the side of the flange into the stud clearance. We then pump sealant through these hole which create a seal like in the last option.

We have over 40 different kinds of sealants for use in all kinds of processes including acids.

If you would like more information let me know.

Regards

Colin Morley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back