Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sealing helium gas in medical devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk2000

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2001
AU
Dear all

I am interested in information and design guides for sealing system design. I would like a handbook/design guide where it would tell me how I should approach the problem and what are best practices. Can anyone help me with a site/book/paper especially if it contains information about medical applications?

Thank you
MK

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are very few information regarding sealing principles and practices. Generally, companies guard their sealing technologies and do not publish them. It seems like you need to use a PTFE seal energized by a a 316 SS spring. PTFE seals are superier to Orings in term of life and friction. However, PTFE seals are machined and are generally more expensive. Minimum orders is about $1000. If you purchase it in high volume, then cost is less of an issue.
Check out this website: OmniSeal.com

* note: I work for this company so my advise could be biased. It is up to you to do more research but this website is a start. Not much information in term of education though.

Are you talking on dynamic or static seal?
What is the sealing requirements?
How much cubic centimeter of helium leak is allowed per second/minute etc.?
What is the gas pressure?
What is the environment temperature?
Are you sealing an orifice in a valve or piston? If it is an orifice what is the orifice diameter? If it is a piston what is the piston diameter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back