Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sealing of design by other specialized professional for proprietary... 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

VYordan

Structural
Dec 28, 2009
PR
If one were to check all the computations and drawings pertaining to a structure -non building- which is a very specialized one and that the analysis and design is rather proprietary, how would one go about the sealing of the drawings as the engineer of record?

The designer and manufacturer is not locally based, but in Europe and they do not have a local license.

The drawings have been reviewed, questions and suggestions taken care of. Same as for computations. The designer and fabricator produces highly specialized and proprietary product, sold and installed all around the world.

So, if the above steps -checking, etc.- have been followed I do not see anything out of bound about sealing these as per the engineering code of ethics.

However, the other matter remaining is, would one seal the drawings maintaining the manufacturers and designers logos and seals in the drawings and computations besides one own.

I mean, that manufacturer must still have some responsability liability if something goes wrong beyond the local engineer's
control...

Thank you all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks to all. The superstucture itself is to be excluded from the work, I learned that. Only the foundation calcs are involved. They have been corroborated.

I hope you received something in writing from your governing jurisdiction. You cant plop a structure down on your foundation without a licensed engineer. If it were a HVAC unit that's a different story, but this is a structure in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back