Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sealing rectangular HVAC duct cladding

Status
Not open for further replies.

canwesteng

Structural
May 12, 2014
CA
I have a situation where an exterior duct was improperly supported. Now we need to cut back cladding and 2" of insulation to attached supports, and then seal the cladding back around the support. What type of sealant should I use? Caulking, spray foam, other?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think that rigid foam from a spray can would do the job. It would both replace the missing cladding as well as seal the existing insulation around the newly installed support(s).

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

What kind of insulation is it? Regardless, my recommendation would be to get an insulator to make the repair. If your company screwed up the installation of the ductwork and then turns around and screws up the insulation repair it would make you look foolish.

You need to ask yourself "What is the purpose of the insulation?" then decide what will meet the criteria.
Spray foam is great, and as Mr Baker suggests, might be the ideal fix, but can be flammable. Sometimes excitingly so.
(Also if it's exposed it looks a bit pants and often isn't UV stable - but if that doesn't matter then I'd agree it would be a terrific solution)

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

You have not described the original insulation, is it fiberglass, polyurethane foam or What?
The methods used to repair it will depend on what is there. You may need fiberglass batting and foil tape. and sealing compound like Ductmate.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back