Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seamless pattern around extruded profile (made of splines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brn10

Industrial
May 23, 2013
NL
Hi! I would like to have a cut extrude around a profile with a seamless pattern. What is the best way to do this? I tried wrap, but got all kinds of problems (maybe wrong settings?), sheet metal is not possible since it is made of splines (correct?), and a curve driven pattern gave problems at the end points. Any ideas? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think I fixed it now by taking a negative of he pattern. It seems wrap does not work well with forms in forms. Does anyone know how I can scale the block (pattern) to exactly a width of 2.5 mm? I can only find the scale factor..

Celebrated too early. Wrap has problems on all the edges. There is a very thin piece left there. Is there a cleaner way to do this?

Your probably not going to be able to get that feature wrapped around that shape. It has to stretch around the radius and curve driven pattern doesn't stretch it. Plus there is no feature in SW that will stretch something around another shape. Wrap works well for what it is intended to be used for, this is not your typical case for the Wrap feature. I hope your not wanting to mold that into a something. I don't think you will ever get it out with that deep of a cut.

You would be better off making that into a decal and placing it on the outside of the part instead.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back