SEAOC Manuals Page Count 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerRam

Structural
Jul 31, 2014
GU
All,

I am considering buying all 5 volumes of the SEAOC manual, but I'm on the fence regarding purchasing the pdf or hardcopy. Can anyone who has the manuals tell me the page count of each volume? A higher page count will sway me to just purchasing the hardcopy.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Volume 1 is ~190 pages, volume 2 is ~300 pages, volume 3 ~220 pages, volume 4 ~290 pages and volume 5 is a baby at 125 pages. All in all you’re looking at about 1100 pages give or take.

I like to have them as solid references for seismic design. Volume 1 is extremeley useful. Vol 5 for me at least you could go without unless you do that type of stuff.

I own the copies a version back. I was unimpressed with the bindings as they started coming apart on me after a single thorough read. And you'd be hard pressed to find someone more respectful of books than I. That would steer me in the direction of PDF unless I found the security protocols objectionable, which I often do. The material is also not presented very densely which I find amenable to screen viewing. I'd send you my copies for the cost of shipping but, since I'm in Canada, that would probably cost more than just purchasing nice new ones.

I have the hard copy of the 2012 versions and they are still OK. My company purchased the 2015 pdf versions so everyone in the office could use them. From what I remember there were no security protocols with the pdf copies (you could share at will).

My copies traveled with me to and from an exam on international flights packed tightly into a suitcase jamb packed with other exam day books. Maybe that's what did it.

Still, if it's an unrestricted PDF, that would settle the matter for ever. The ability to keep it for ever without having to deal with the physicality of it is huge for my hoarder tendencies. Just print 'em off for three ring binding and rinse and repeat as needed.

Koot, are they worth it in a Canadian context for the seismic design examples and general information? I'm not against foreign code references at all, but I've been wary of buying these because I'm not sure if they're conceptual references or specific code application references.

TLHS said:
Koot, are they worth it in a Canadian context

I would say no. They are pretty code specific documents. The parts that are just good seismic philosophy would be better had by getting a copy of SEOC's Bluebook. I believe that's the source document for many of the pearls.

c01_fncxta.jpg

Thanks all. I am going to purchase them as references for the SE exam and as a nice reference for work. As the page counts are not incredibly high for any one volume, I'll just purchase the pdf's and print as needed. For now, I will forgo Volume 5.

This is for the SE exam? I'd get volume 1 and 3; but there are likely better things to spend your money on than 2 and 4 for just the SE. I'd only get 2 and 4 if you can also use them for work.

I'd get volume 1 in print form; I read this book front to back twice. I'd read it while doing the dishes, at lunch, whatever; it's the single best reference for SE lateral aside from the required specifications and references, with the AISC seismic manual a close second.

Ian Riley, PE, SE
Professional Engineer (ME, NH, VT, CT, MA, FL) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back