Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching for a oil mist detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdossaji

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2003
US
We develop reciprocating compressors and would like to measure the oil vapor or mist for oil consumption. Is there a measuring device that can measure the amount of oil in the air?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know of breathing space monitoring devices that are used to test oil mists. They are not "real-time" sensors, though. The consist of a vacuum pump and a filter. The filter then gets sent to a lab to detect oil concentration. Not sure if this is the type of thing you're looking for.

ChemE, M.E. EIT
"The only constant in life is change." -Bruce Lee

There is an instrument made to detect and measure "Blue Haze", oil mist that uses UV light. I think the manufacturer was {Ray-Tek}.

I'll look around for some information.

I was looking more into in-line measuring device. We want to detect oil mist that is vented from the crankcase breather into our low pressure chamber.

Maybe a little late, but it's my two cents contribution.
Rules first, as usual!
It is a requirement of Classification Societies ( ABS, Lloyd's Register of shipping, R.I.Na. and so on...), that an " OIL MIST DETECTOR" device shall be installed on every marine engine, used for propulsion purposes, whose power is superior to a certain value.
While this practice may save the engine from " crankcase mist explosions" due to dangerous situations arising in slow spees ( < 150 RPM) Two stroke engines, this practice has been demonstrated very little useful on medium speed engines ( RPM > 400 ).
As far as I am aware of technology latest development, the device is an opacity meter, with pneumatic drive suction from each cranckcase section. It is able to detect and alert in case a sudden elevation of opacity is revealed in the "oil fog" present in every engine section.
This practice is safe enough on slow speed engines ( the sudden increase on "foggyness" inside the cranckcase is.,timewise, comparable with RPM of engine. The reaction time of such a device is too long for four strokes medium speed engines. Simply put, when the alarm sound the engine is already falling apart.
This is not only theory, but indeed "direct burning experience" in marine propulsion plants.
Best regards everybody.

Sierra701

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back