Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Searching for a small compressor/pump for a project

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetpackjbd

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2024
US
Hi, not sure where this belongs or if I’m even on the right website for this, but I’m looking for a very small compressor/pump for a project.

Specifications:
[ul]
[li]24V and under 5A ideally[/li]
[li]Slightly noisy[/li]
[li]Cheap, under $50[/li]
[li]Small[/li]
[li]Flow rate and PSI aren’t important[/li]
[/ul]

What I’m trying to do is replicate the sound of an engine on an electric scooter and design exhausts for it using a compressor instead of an engine.

I had thought about using a tire inflator, however cheap ones are often deafeningly loud and draw 10+ amps. Something like a blood pressure monitor pump would be ideal, though I can’t find any that could handle over 12V. I’ve tried 3D printing one before, but extruded plastic alone isn’t smooth enough.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only thing worse than electric vehicles, are electric vehicles that pretend to be combustion vehicles.

Same goes for vegan food. You made your bed, you lay in it.

Other than that, I don't actually have anything productive to add. Rant complete.

Hmm. If this is to have the something on the scooter make some sound, a sound system would seem idea. Then one can have different sounds, tied to the effort the scooter motor makes. Dogs Barking. The clip-clop of horse hooves on brick. Farts. The notes from a V-12, complete with exhaust pops.

I normally dislike EVs pretending to be gas engines with speakers, but in my mind a mechanical machine like a compressor for sound is different. Feels a little more organic

The noise from an IC engine comes from the multiple explosions occurring several times a second in the engine and muffled by the exhaust, not from the exhaust itself coming out of a pipe.

You might as well stick a microphone onto the electric motor and run it through an amplifier.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Littleinch said:
The noise from an IC engine comes from the multiple explosions occurring several times a second in the engine and muffled by the exhaust, not from the exhaust itself coming out of a pipe.

You might as well stick a microphone onto the electric motor and run it through an amplifier.
That’s true to an extent, but the sound is fairly similar. The same low rumble and random combustion events are missing, but it sounds close if you’ve got a speed controller

That’s an interesting idea with the microphone though, I might try that at some point

Let us know when you get it.

Probably is either silent or will sound like a constant farting noise....

Running those sort of things for any length of time with no back pressure will result in rapid failure.

But hey, it's only $26 and few days of your time trying to get it to work....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I'm guessing that a selling point of these compressors is low noise. You can go ahead and spend the $26.89, but I'm thinking it can't be heard over the normal road and street noise.

Consider how much power a car audio system has to put out to make an impact on your driving experience; then consider how much air 4 L/m actually is. 4 L/m works out to (4 cm)^3/s, which is less than someone gasping once per second.

If I'm doing my math correctly, 100 cid at 700 rpm is about 1150 L/min

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

why not a loudspeaker ? ... something designed to make noise, controllable noise

"Wir hoffen, dass dieses Mal alles gut gehen wird!"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back