Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching for High RPM Vertical Machining Centers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoelD

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2001
US
We machine bronze and soft steel (1008/1010) with small ballnose and regular endmills. The tool sizes are continually getting smaller. Currently our smallest is .0354" in diameter. I am looking for a machining center that offers a high spindle RPM (35,000 - 40,000) as well as high feeds and rapids without compromising reliability with minimum upkeep. We currently are using a HOWA machining center which we are very happy with, but they do not offer RPM's over 20,000. I am looking for any suggestions or even names of machine builders that I may research that would offer what I am looking for.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about an aftermarket spindle to fit as one of the tools in the machine you're already happy with???

Lots of vendors, lots of ways to drive it. Some double or triple your machine's spindle speed. Some are electric. Some are air.

Watch end play and bearing float for what you really need, and spend some time looking.

Chances are that any machine you'd buy would have one of these companies spindles installed in it anyway.

WATCH OUT FOR THE COST OF COLLETS ! THE COST OF THE TOOL HOLDERS FOR SOME OF THESE SPINDLES WILL NUMB YOU. Check that out BEFORE you buy!!! $300 to $800 for a tiny collet !!! It's truly sick, but I'm NOT joking!

Larry

look at boston digital, they build an excellent machine we used it to cut graphite at break neck speeds and it had a 40000 rpm spindle. it was a great machine considering ours was a prototype.

Rego fix makes a very good spindal speeder to fit your machine---it is a 5/1 ratio up to 40,000 RPM and costs about 5 grand.---if you are lucky you may even be able to do tool changes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back