Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

seawater piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathew1

Marine/Ocean
Jan 29, 2003
US
I am looking for alternative piping material other than 90-10 or 70-30 Copper-Nickel piping to install in the marine environment. My basic point is to reduce the amount of Copper entering the environment. Any help on this would be greately appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A stainless with approx. 6% Mo does very well. If you can avoid stagnant conditions and are at ambient temp. you could even use 304L or 316L ss, but you may get pitting if you can't be assured that stagnant times will be short.

We use Fiberbond or Bondstrand as an alternative to Cu-Ni. They can handle up to 300 psig. If your pressure is not too high You can use fibreglass, PVC, ABS, etc.

Hi Mathew1
I am not aware of your actual application.But if the initial cost is not a problem, then Titanium pipes will be the the ideal and ultimate.They don't conaminate nor get corroded.They are strong too. Well try them.

Agree with keyardee. Titanium is the best option for seawater piping from the point of corrosion and avoiding Copper carryover and excellent strength to weight ratio. However Titanium welding would be a factor to consider as it requires special cleaning and atmospheric conditions.

You can get lots of tips by looking at existing threads.
Search the eng-tips with keyword "Seawater"

Here's twop of them:

thread378-18334

thread177-2240

Or try even the
Saltwater corrosion engineering Forum forum307

regards
Mogens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back