Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

section I or viii

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrwchem

Chemical
Feb 12, 2006
CA
Hi,

I am very new to ASME codes. Can somebody provide guidance on the following:

A steam coil is placed in the flue gas chimney of a process furnace. A type of waste heat recovery i guess. The steam goes to a shared steam drum. The steam drum accepts steam from other heat exchangers etc..

There is a gate valve on the inlet of the steam drum.

Is the steam drum considered part of the boiler-proper? and thus section i, or sectrion viii.

If there was no valve between the steam coil and steam drum then would it make a difference?

Thanks.
jon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Based on the information that you provided and regardless of the gate valve, I would say you are under Section I code space - similar to the components of a heat recovery steam generator (HRSG).

jrwchem,
In the petrochem industry, the drum would more than likely be designed and stamped per ASME VIII, Div.1. One similar instance that we were most recently involved provided for production of steam in an olefins furnace. The piping/tubing/header in the furnace was designed per ASME I. The steam drum was designed and stamped per ASME VIII, Div. 1. The appurtances to the steam drum were PP stamped as was required by the jurisdiction. Don't ask me for the logic!!

In the past, sulphur condensers produced steam from burning H2S rich gas, the exhaust gas of which was transmitted through tubes (fixed tube sheet heat exchanger)with the shell side containing steam. These "waste heat boilers" were all U stamped.

You must check with the jurisdiction with regard to your particular case.

The manufactures data repot for the steam drum should tell you the code of construction. If you do not have one on file and the drum has an original manufacturers data plate you could get a report from the National Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back