Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Section IX AWS Classification of weld material

Status
Not open for further replies.

4glennb

Industrial
Jun 5, 2003
CA
Hello I have a question regarding the AWS qualification of a flux-wire combination and PWHT. We are having difficulty finding an SAW flux-wire combination to weld a material that our client want's to have a welding procedure that is PWHT. In Section VIII-Div 1 this material does not require PWHT.
Questions are as follows;
-If we qualify the flux-wire combination (in this case F11A6-ECM2-M2-H8) in the PWHT condition do we loose the AWS Classification?
-Under Section IX of the ASME Code if we loose the AWS Classification because we PWHT the welding procedure is there a provision under Section IX that would allow the wire-flux combination to be used in production?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
4glennb

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

4glennb:
The flux typically does two things, it protects/shields the molten weld puddle and it can add various alloying to the molten weld metal, or not. As such it should be matched with the welding wire and the base metals to achieve the desired final weld metal properties. Then, you may or may not PWHT the entire finished product, and this is another, and separate matter. I would talk with your local welding materials suppliers, about these issues, for their advice and recommendations. Talk to one of their experienced welding engineers or metallurgists, not their youngest sales person. I’m not sure what ASME or your customer has to say on the matter.

Read the essential variable requirements for filler metals in the SAW section of ASME IX. In the past as long as you qualified the procedure "as welded" filler metal using PWHT, you could use the "as welded" designation filler for welds subject to PWHT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back