Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Section of I-95 collapses after fire burns under overpass... 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Retiredat46 stated above, compaction was limited to two Bobcats and two handheld vibrating compactors. That is the limit of the compaction. Also, the black fabric is some kind of metal mesh, because once in place it was welded to vertical bars (maybe 6 foot in length each). So the fabric is definitely very flexible but also very weldable.

They're putting the L-shaped concrete side barriers on the near side of the filled area right now. We won't be able to see any of the work being done there after all the pieces are in place. Rats!! On the plus side, we'll have a plain gray background for watching the new bridge being built. Hooray!!

The I-95 webcam has been relocated to the top side of the bridge, looking south(?), so once again we have a reasonably good view of what they are doing. Thank you PENNDOT. We are now looking in almost the opposite direction. Visible is the north side of the fill. Before we were seeing the south side of the fill.

Some compaction is better than none. The hand pushed one is in view now, being used to compact a new, dark material that was deposited in a steady flow from hose held high by a crane, similar to filling poured foundation walls for a new house. It looks like it's limited to the edge of the temporary support.

Hard to believe that what we now see from the new camera angle, of prep'd roadway, will support 3 lanes in each direction.

From Aero Aggregates PP Presintation about Compaction of fill:

[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1687309591/tips/UL-FGA_1_rrcfpq.pdf[/url]

[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1687309365/tips/UL-FGA_2_rj9ibt.pdf[/url]

For roadway support, appears to be bulk thicknes limited to 12" if using a push compactor, but it appeared to be used on the full 24" blocks.

And for the full 24", 600-1000 psf, 2 passes "with a tracked excavator or dozer"

PA Governor said today that the roadway will be open this weekend. What an effort if that holds true.

KevinK2 said:
PennDOT new live video...

And notice how the contractor has strategically placed his 'shingle' ;-)

Screenshot_2023-06-20_at_9.45.26_PM_fvhyor.png

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Latest video shows one lane going north has opened, on the far side of the original highway. Good news. Now it's 2 lanes. I think it's because those lanes had been used to bring many semi's full of aggregate to the site, and that part of the job is done.

Some degree of rain is predicted by noon, continuing for the next week. They have been lucky with dry weather so far. It's good that the top of the aggregate is now sealed with the ~ 1 foot thick compacted black layer, and other coveings.

The massive L-shaped outer temporary highway barriers look like the bottom of the L will be under the underlayment and new pavement. Not sure if thay are keys to each other at the joints.

What KevinK2 is seeing in the ABC7NY live feed is traffic on the Milnor Street onramp which is just to the southeast of the work area.

Retiredat46, Thanks for the correction. I guess we didn't see that from the other camera angle.

Workers have been cleaning out the expansion joint that runs across the highway from right to left on the near (north) side of and several feet away from the gap. They've been digging into, blowing, and sweeping all along the joint. Maybe they're preparing for an inspection of the joint that was mentioned by davefitz on June 19.

So great to watch this come together so quickly this past week. Really makes you even more angry how lovely it is to have a local highway under construction for like 6 years with barely any progress.

jerseyshore, this is a herd of union workers working overtime, 24/7. This was a no-bid job, at a huge expense. I agree typial government contracted highway work seems to take longer than necessary.

On the otherhand, I witnessed a ~large commercial parking lot being repaveded starting with a "road eater" removing all old pavement. It was like watching an ant farm, related big machines appeard on a "just in time" basis, rollers & pavers dissappeared when done, all going to another jobs site in progress. No worker was ever idle.

The first concrete truck has arrived on scene.

Edit: Concrete truck was only there a short while, and there was only one of them. Reason unknown.

When MI rebuilt I-75 through Detroit that work was 24x7.
It sure didn't take long.
More proof that time and money are fungible.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Currently pumping a black material from a dangling hose, and using the bucket of the big CAT excavator like a wheelbarrel to help material placement.

Another ~1 foot layer of black material topped the light wt aggregate stack, and was compressed, followed by a similar grey layer. Now black again. None appeared to be concrete so far.

Update, 4pm, now they appear to be adding more foamed glass aggregate and compacting it with a small doser with tracks, similar to their advertised underlayment for new roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back