Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Section VIII Impact Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

newweldeng09

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2008
US
In production, I am welding a ASME SA106, Gr. B pipe material to a quench and tempered ASME SA350, LF2, Cl 1 material with the SMAW process, using E7018-1 filler metal. The MDMT is -50F. The pipe material is normalized, but is not produced to a fine grain practice, so it is a Curve B material. The forged material is exempt from impact testing down to -55F (UCS-66(g), ((UCS-66(j) is also followed)). Per UCS-67(a)(1), the welding procedure qualification will have to be impact tested. For this qualification, do I have to weld a normalized P1, Gr.1 material to a quench and tempered P1, Gr. 2 material to satisfy UG-84(h)(2)(a&b), even though the SA350 material is exempt from impact tests?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

do I have to weld a normalized P1, Gr.1 material to a quench and tempered P1, Gr. 2 material to satisfy UG-84(h)(2)(a&b), even though the SA350 material is exempt from impact tests?

Yes. Weld metal and base metal HAZ for the P-No 1, Group 1 material per the excerpt below from UG-84 (h)(2)

If impact tests are required for the deposited weld metal,
but the base material is exempted from impact tests (as in
UHA-51), welding procedure test plates shall be made.
The test plate material shall be material of the same P Number
and Group Number used in the vessel.

Thanks for the response, but since one of the base materials needs to be impact tested, do I need to have the base material for the qualification be a normalized P1, Gr. 1 welded to any heat treatment P1, Gr. 2 material?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back