Section VIII jobs 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyman

Mechanical
May 13, 2009
CA
Hi,
This maybe a vague question but any input on this is greatly appreciated. What would be a good stratergy on going about to look for jobs related to ASME Section VIII. Is there some online directory dedicated to B&PV industry?

Thanks in advance.

Jaspreet Hothi P.Eng.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering. I am working for the Industrial Gas turbine industry. My expertise is casings design under high temperature high pressure conditions. Gas turbine casing is assumed to be a pressure vessel from a design point of view. So I use Section VIII and some additional rules to get to the desired design. I am not required to follow Section VIII by law but I use it in conjunction with FEA to design the casing because it gives me more confidence in my design. However I am interested in making a career exclusively out of Section VIII now. I would like to explore opportunities in and around Toronto Canada. I am professional engineer (P.Eng.) in Ontario Canada and my graduation is from University of Mumbai India.

Thanks for your input.

Jaspreet Hothi P.Eng.

ASME stamps are not required in Canada? I beg to differ, they are required to fabricate pressure equipment as well as requiring Canadian Registration Numbers (CRN's) What is not required is a National Board Stamp.

Interesting. Rustbuster, are you aware of CSA B51 section 4.10.2, which starts off as follows: "Manufacturers not holding an ASME Certificate of Authorization may be eligible..."

Could you be more specific as to who or what law or regulation requires ASME stamps in Canada?

I am working for the Industrial Gas turbine industry. My expertise is casings design under high temperature high pressure conditions.

cool... why would you want to be grubby PV engineer? That sounds cooler.

As a P.Eng. who hasn't actually worked in Canada, as far a ASME Code and their role in Canadian jurisdictions, I believe it isn't that straight forward as noted by Ted Leblanc here:
Since I'm register in Alberta, I'll refer to the province of Alberta and the applicable Regulation 49/2006 of the Safety Codes Act Section 6 which states the codes in force of which subsection(d) ASME VIII-1:2007 (e) ASME VIII-2:2004.
As far as stamping, this is covered in Section 28(2) ASME code stamp not required if manufactured in Canada (3) ASME code stamp required if manufactured outside Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back