Security Clearance and Non Clearance Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

giperbolic

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2010
US
Hi,

I currently hold BSME degree and I'm considering going for MS in Nuclear Engineering. It will be difficult or even impossible for me to obtain security clearance due to the fact that I'm a naturalized US citizen with family and friends (i.e. "foreign ties") back home, in Russia-which doesn't make it easier. I was wondering if there are many nuclear jobs out there that do not require security clearance, or if this degree is not even worth going for, knowing that clearance may be an issue. It is a commitment that will be both expensive and time consuming, so any helpful input is greatly appreciated. If I do decide against MSNE I was thinking about Petroleum as an alternative.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think civilian nuclear jobs require an extensive background check or security clearance...it's mainly direct government jobs, such as at NAVSEA, or the NRC, etc.

A masters in any field, in my personal opinion, gives very little benefit, other than your own satisfaction, or a stepping stone to a Ph.D.

If you're having problems finding a job, with a BSME, then it may be wise to stay in school, but I don't think a nuclear masters degree is going to get you anywhere. I think you're better off sticking with ME, and choosing an energy-related study plan.

I agree that masters may not give much of a benefit, but then what, other than experience, will. I think MS may allow for a wider future career selection. I've been working as a startup engineer for few years now, which, I think, is a rather universally applicable experience.

A job at a civilian nuclear facility requires an extensive background check. As long as your record is clear I don't think having family in Russia is a show stopper.

Satchmo is right -- "As long as your record is clear... having family in Russia is [not] a show stopper."

Where I work, MS is not necessary for entry level engineer, but an MS is very helpful to advance your career once hired.

Also, for any prospective employer, check whether there are local universities offering MS programs and, then, try to get your employer to pay for the courses. Also check for distance learning programs leading to a degree (e.g., or
Also, get your Professional Engineer license as soon as possible.

Good luck.

PT

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: "If you push something hard enough, it will fall over."

Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: "It comes in, it must go out."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back