Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seed files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Uhhhhhh....since NX isn't forward compatible (can't open NX4 in NX3), it would probably help to know for which version you need the seed file.

It would also help to give some more detail as to what exactly you want "set up", as there are quite a few options that involve datums and layers.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Alnour,
Bear in mind that seed files are pretty much company specific, and would be based on your companies needs (or standards) for your files. What works for me wouldn't do you any good, so to speak.

SS

We use NX 2. Im not sure what exactly we would need. I would like to have some sense of what is need concerning layers. No one here at the office has really used them before and I am just looking for starting point for us. We could modify it later if needed to better suit us but we are at a loss on where to start really. I dont know what kind of options are available concerning layers and datums. Any help or insights would be appreciated. Thanks

I would set it up with the three primary datum planes and layer catagories for your modeling and drafting entities, such as construction curves and surfaces, tool solids, datums, reference geometry, etc as reqd.
Some companies use two seed files, one for drafting and one for modeling.

Alnour,
I'd set up seperate seed files for modeling and drafting. Layering convention, colors, etc can simply be thought of as your company's current 'convention' or how your currently doing things. Now just write that to paper and everybody should be following it. For example, everyone abides by: components being on layers 1-50, construction geom on layers 101-135, each part will start with a datm csys on layer 100, colored white, and all sketches will be attached to this and be on layers 136-180. Things like this...
Your company CAD standards should be followed, and if you don't have any identified than thats the first place I'd start.

SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back