Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SEEING DIMENSION BEFORE SELECTING FINAL LOCATION 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DISH

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2003
CA
I AM LOOKING FOR THE SETTING THAT ALLOWS ME TO VIEW THE DIMENSION BEFORE I SELECT ITS FINAL LOCATION. I HAD IT WORKING AT ONE TIME AND NOW IT ISN'T. CURRENTLY IT POPS UP AFTER I SELECT THE LINE LOCATION, BUT I KNOW THAT IT SHOULD MOVE WITH MY CURSOR, TILL I SELECT THE LOCATION.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

from AutoCad Help menu:

Coordinate values on the status bar do not update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue

The coordinate values on the status bar (displayed on the bottom left of the window) are not updated when the crosshairs are moved on the screen.

Solution

When the coordinates on the status bar are not updated as the crosshairs are moved, it is because they are 'shut off' because the COORDS variable is not enabled.

To enable coordinate updates, you can do this in one of the these three ways: press the F6 key, press CTRL+D, or type coords on the command line.

Note: The F6 key or CTRL+D toggles two of the three different modes for coordinate display.

COORDS variable settings

You can also change how the coordinate values display by right-clicking on the coordinate values in the status bar. Notice that only the options that are valid can be selected; all other options are not available.

0 = Static (also referred to as Off). The coordinate values are shadowed and are only updated when a point is selected on the screen. For example, if you draw a line and select the first point to start the line, the first point you selected is reflected in the coordinate value.
1 = Dynamic (also referred to as absolute). The values are updated continuously as you move the crosshairs on the screen.
2 = Distance and angle (also referred to as relative). The values are updated continuously as you move the crosshairs on the screen. The value format changes to distance<angle when drawing lines and other objects that prompt for more than one point.
Note: When using F6 or CTRL+D, you can only toggle between Static and Dynamic or Distance and Angle. If you are in the process of creating a line, you can toggle between all three, however, this will only work if you are drawing lines or other objects that prompt for more than one point.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY , I HOWEVER WAS NOT DETAILED ENOUGH IN MY QUESTION.
wHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IS WHEN I CLICK ON ANY ONE OF MY DIM COMMANDS ( DIMLINEAR, DIMANGULAR, ...) IT ASKS FOR THE FIRST POINT, THEN THE SECOND POINT FINALLY IT ASKS THE POINT WHERE THE DIMENSION SHOULD BE SITUATED. BETWEEN THE SECOND AND THIRD POINTS THE DIMENSION APPEARS AND MOVES WITH THE CURSOR, WAITING FOR THE PLACE THAT IT SHOULD SIT. I CANNOT SEE THE FLOATING DIMENSION AND AM LOOKING FOR THE SETTING TO TURN IT BACK ON.

I am not sure, but you may be referring to the DIMUPT variable.

&quot;Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right &quot;
.. Henry Ford

NO THAT IS NOT IT EITHER , MY CURSOR IS CONTROLING WHERE THE TEXT IS GOING, IT IS JUST THAT THE TEXT DOES NOT SHOW UP BEFORE PLACEMENT. THANKS ANYHOW.

P.S. I HAVE ALSO NOTICED THAT IT DOES TELL ME THE DIM IN THE COMMAND LINE WHILE IT IS ASKING ME FOR THE FINAL LOCATION. I BELIEVE THAT THIS IS NOT THE DEFAULT SETTING. ANY COMMENTS ABOUT THAT?

Yes that is it thanks. dragmode was turned to off.
Thanks for the help everyone
p.s. Sorry for shouting (it is kinda loud in here) i'll try to contain myself next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back