Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seeking Exhaust Gas Acceptable Readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

EAGLEEYE270

Automotive
Jan 18, 2007
US
I'm looking for a web site or reference center that will provide me with the acceptable readings on Hydrocarbons, Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, Oxygen, and Oxides of Nitrogen by make and model. Any insights on this would be most helpful. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fabrico.

I resisted the temptation to look up and quote smog regulations for Ethiopia. I expect there are none which is the point.

He will ne from the USA. Inevitably people who just expect us to know where they are from, or who expect their regs apply worldwide are from the USA.

As I pull my helmet on tight, many, many members from the USA do not fall into that catagory.

Eagleeye

Where the B***** H** are you.

What is the application.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I want to first of all, thank you all for repling to my post. Apparently you were unable to understand the complexity of my request, and thus I will attempt to reword it so that you might better grasp my request.
Without regard to where I live, what type of engine, or what kind of vehicle I drive, Does anyone know, or could anyone share a listing of places where this information can be found? While I do reside in the USA, (The finest Nation in the WORLD) I am interested in this reference material in different areas. (With the exception of countries where the main source of emissions comes from the South end of a North bound Camel.) Perhaps there is someone out there who can answer this better than those in California or Ethiopia, where one is the major source of pollution, and the other is the main source of nothing.

I'm still not real sure what you are looking for, but I will take my best guess.

Many otherwise similar models are made to different emission specs for different markets.

Different compression ratio, different cam timing, even different fuel and spark timing maps to fine tune various compromises between various emissions, economy and performance.

Would the EPA and equivalents in all regions of interest to you be of any help. I imagine most have web sites with their regulations which all models sold there must meet, but in fact most will exceed to some degree.

If you want the information from all manufacturers for all variations on and within each model for all markets, that will be very difficult to get, especially for free and all in English.

In many regions that info is on a plate in the engine bay, but to collect it from every model would require some very extensive resources.

Regards

I still fail to see exaxtly what is being ask about emissions output because the base regs are the EPA and some states make them even tighter.
Is the question how much emsissions before the cats clean up the input or what is in the exhaust after the cats have acted?
Presently, the OBDII control systems meet federal levels such that any dash light 'on' is a failure without even testing.
A dash light on' after 1997 model year is an inferred failure greater than 3% above spec. This is why many locations do not even roller test the vehichles and only go by the dash lite and any stored DTC codes out of the test port.
Again, the question has to have some reference to have any answer meet the objective of the question.
Were not trying to be smart but to get a frame work in which to yield a meaningfull answer.
As of the moment we have not gotten to first base yet.

If I were attemting to tune a non computer controled engine in a high performance application, what should I assume to be the max safe temp?

Scott

Why did you hijack this thread instead of starting your own.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back