Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SEER 10 Condenser with older evap coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMSPE

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2004
US
20 y/o 2-1/2 Ton HP has finally given out. Plan to convert to cooling only because heating-side air supply side is inadequate (air is good for cooling). Will run new SEER 10 unit with existing evap coils which was part of a matched SEER 8 or less system. I hear everything from "compressor will blow" to "should work". I recognize at best it will yield <SEER 10 perf. Cooling (residential) is only needed 300-400 hrs/year so it's hard to justify a $5K total system overhaul. I see systems that use same evaps for two or three size ranges. Not sure why it won't work. Thoughts, cautions, warnings, advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

$5k will buy you a whole new 13 seer with furnace, as the 10 seers are no longer being manufactured, call around your dealers and ask for a matched 10 seer set, should be pretty reasonable. The indoor coil will bring the whole system efficiency down. I just replaced my home system to 13seer, and the increase in the coil sizes was huge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back