Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Segmental Box Girder Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveyeung

Civil/Environmental
Sep 5, 2004
GB
Has anybody read “Precast Segmental Box Girder Bridge Manual”, Post-Tensioning Institute and Prestressed Concrete Institute???

I got a question about distribution of BM after a joint is formed to connect two erected spans.
Refer to Fig 3.18 (b), Step 3 on page 39, it shows that all erected spans are connected and the BM at joint B is 1472 k-ft. I know how to work out the BMs at the interior supports and the joint at midspan. However, I have no clue how to do it for joint B in the tail spans.

Thanks!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't help You,
but I'm interested in getting this book.
Is it published in 1978?
Where can I buy it??

Looking forward for Your replay,
Janusz

Since balanced cantilever construction method could be done with different closure sequences, the moment diagram in Fig. 3.18(b) is the result from the closure sequence specified in Fig. 3.18(a).

How to calculate the bending moment when construction is completed:

1. Have a continuous beam of the finished stage. Do NOT apply any dead load on the structure.

2. Apply vertical dead load only for the range A-B and F.G

3. Add the moment obtained to that in Fig. 3.18 (b) Step 1.

4. You get Fig. 3.18 (b) Step 3.

tjhubo,

Thanks for your advice.

krakordian,

I just have the electronic copy. I got the file from my "boss" so I don't know where it comes from....I think you are right, this book might be published in 78's because a lot of prestressing techniques mentioned in this book was developed in the 60-70's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back