Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Segmental bridges erected by balanced cantilever method:

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveyeung

Civil/Environmental
Sep 5, 2004
GB
Does any experienced bridge engineer can give me a clue how the creep changes the bending moment diagram:

For a newly erected segmental bridge, the moments over the interior supports are maximum and hogging and zero moment at the mid-span (in theory),However, as the time elapses with the continuity tendons in place and the effects of the creep, sagging moment will appear in the mid-span regions.

The final moment diagram will reside somewhere between the BM envelope of the simple cantilever and that of the bridge assumed being constructed on falsework.

My question is, for the initial design purposes, who long the mid-span region will be under the sagging moment region?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, I'm not an experienced engineer but I hope this can help: for preliminary design you can see
Schlaich-Scheef, Concrete box-girder bridges, IABSE-AIPC-IVBH, ETH Honggerberg - Zurich 1982 , pg. 47-48-49.
For final design you should run a non-linear time-depemdemt analisys; anyway using simplified methods you can expect about 10%-15% errors (for dead load).

Greetings

Ale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back