Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Seismic Design Category D Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

coaleng

Structural
Oct 1, 2014
US
I have been asked to design the beam to beam connections and beam to column connections for a new project that is located in Seismic Design Category D. I have review ASCE 7-10 and Seismic Provision 341-10. My understanding is that for the beam to beam connections I can basically use single shear typical connections. but for the bracing I will have to add some over strength factors and make adjustment.

Anyone have any tips? or comments that I need to review. I have never designs an heavy industrial building in this Seismic Zone.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Get a copy of the Seismic Design Manual. Not just the free AISC 341 available online, but the entire physical book. Go through the examples, they're extremely detailed and step through pretty much everything you need to check for each SFRS type.

In my opinion any structural engineering office doing seismic design of steel structures under US codes should have a copy of this. No exceptions.

X3 for the SDM recommendation. Among other things, it's one of the best connection design references that I know of. You can also find some exellent, free information in the NEHRP design briefs: Link

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back