Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seismic loads in SAP2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

odco

Civil/Environmental
Jul 27, 2002
CO
I'm Using SAP2000 and i 2 questions:
1. In a frame model (i.e. a tall building), How Can I
generate automatics Seismic Load for any of the UBC
spectrum they have?, today, I need to calculate tehm
manually and later introduce the forces one by one in
the nodes of the buildings.
2. I have a lot of spectrum other than El Centro, but they
come in cms/seg2 unit, and El centro is in units of g,
how can I use my spectrum?

Thanks a lot

odco

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If SAP2000 reads external files then covert the current time histories using say, excel, and save as a file that is read by the program, txt, prn, etc. If not then you are likely to enter the points one by one (tedious) and the program may have a limit on the data points.

SAP gives some built-in UBC spectra under Define menu>Response spectrum functions. Using that same menu, you can create your own functions Period vs acceleration using whatever units you wish

Dear Sirs:

Hi and thanks for your answers, but I still ignore how to generate automatic seismic load in SAP2000, can anyone help me?

Thans a lot!

Hi Odco,
You cannot generate seismic loads automatically in SAP2000, it has to be calculated manualy using the applicable building code. One help which i mostly take from SAP2000 is to find the time period, and then checking it out with the applicable code provision. Usually they are quite comparable. The automatic generation of seismic loads by the UBC can be done for buildings in ETABS. Probably this automatic generation capabilty is not there in SAP2K as it is a general purpose program. Any way the required loads calculation can very easily be done using Excel or other spread sheets available.
smanzur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back