Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seismic Reductions and Increases

Status
Not open for further replies.

chamokinawan

Structural
Feb 9, 2015
US
ASCE 7-10 12.13.4 allows a reduction of seismic loads (demand) at soil interactions (i.e. foundation) by 25%. Our california building code allows an increase in soil capacity by 1/3 for seismic loads. And lastly, we are allowed a 1.1 safety factor instead of 1.5 in retaining walls when we use seismic loads. Are all of these factors applicable simultaneously?

My understanding was that the 25% reduction in demand (3/4 of demand) was the same as the inverse (4/3 Capacity), hence, the 1/3 increase in capacity. But I was told that they are two different things and I can use both at the same time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The way I interpret ASCE 7-10 §12.13.4, the 25% reduction in force is for overturning (foundation uplift) not bearing pressure. I would consult with the project's geotech concerning the 1/3 increase in soil capacity. Frequently, the bearing pressure is governed by settlement and the 1/3 increase assumes the foundation won't have significant settlement from the short term seismic loads.

@wannabeSE: So you wouldn't decrease your overturning force (checking down push) and increase your soil capacity by 1/3 at the same time? The 25% reduction when checking uplift makes more sense to me. I'm a bit skeptical on double dipping when checking down push/bearing. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back