Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting Annular Hydraulic Piston Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcarmich

Electrical
Sep 4, 2007
US
I am looking for the proper type of seal for an annular hydraulic piston that might be used in a bolt tensioner or concentric clutch slave cylinder? I have seen that some bolt tensioners use piston o-ring seals in the inner and outer walls and concentric slave cylinders use a seal underneath -possibly a symmetric double lipped type seal. I am more interested in the underneath type seal as it would be easier to design around and implement. Is there a specific name for this type of seal? Thank you, Gil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you describing a "hydraulic nut"?

Screenshot_20220126-171050_cziasd.png

I don't see anything unique about this arrangement. Standard hydraulic piston seals or o-rings should apply up to 10k psi. I don't know much about seals for the 40k psi type.

seal_ysqeqt.jpg

I took a concentric slave cylinder apart and measured the seal. I recreated a CAD drawing of it (see image). It is a symmetrical seal with a grove on the bottom and flat on the top.
seal_cutaway_profile_ajyvbb.jpg

The seal flares out on the sides

csc_cutaway_mdplxp.jpg

I also found a cutaway view of a concentric slave cylinder and circled the piston seal location in red (see other image).

That would be a symmetrical rod or piston seal. Sometimes called a u-cup seal. The attachment to the end of the concentric piston is probably a special feature.

Ted

Do the walls of the cylinder need to be honed or prepped in a certain way to ensure a good seal as the piston and seal move up and down in the cylinder?

Is there an established method for honing the inner and out walls of a small ring cylinder? Getting a traditional honing tool into the narrow space between the walls would be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back