Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Selecting earthwork machinary to use with RS Means 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mknighton

Civil/Environmental
Feb 23, 2015
US
I am a civil engineer who periodically has to prepare cost estimates for earthwork. I can calculate the volume of soil for placement and removal, and I know how to do the unit cost calculations from RS Means, but I am at a complete loss as to how to select the appropriate machinery for the job in the Means tables. I would love to have a simple “cost per cubic yard” for excavation, but I know it’s not that simple. Can anyone recommend a resource (book, website, etc.) where I can learn how to select from among the myriad back-hoes, loaders, and bulldozers?

(Also, I’ve tried searching previous threads for this info with no success. If I’ve missed a useful discussion, please refer me to it).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have found that when ever questions like this come up, I don't refer to books. Instead I c9ntact one or two contractors and get local information. Being friends with contractors is very useful for many different reasons. This is one.

@oldestguy
That makes sense. I'm a young engineer and don't have personal relationships with any contractors. Maybe I can get someone in my firm to make an introduction.

Good advice from oldestguy.

One thing you can do right now is download the basic spec sheets for a range of equipment models listed in Means. The specs will give you an idea of the size of the equipment and it's capabilities. Review the job you are estimating. In general terms, would not want to use "big" equipment on a "small" job or vice versa. Over time, you will get a feel of the class of equipment that is appropriate.

Also, routine work at, or at least visits to, ongoing job sites will be invaluable.

[idea]
[r2d2]

Local Bid Tabulations for public works projects can be a good source of data for cost estimates. Typically Cities, Counties, State DOT's, etc. publish the bid details and you can average out the unit costs from the various bidders.

#

Good advice from OG and SRE....they both know their stuff!

If you want a basic book that gives a reasonable overview of what you're looking for, try "Construction Planning, Equipment and Methods" by Robert Peurifoy.

generally, we leave the detailed estimating to the contractors and use historic bid tabulations (adjusted for inflation) to estimate most projects. in order to do a detailed estimate you need to have a schedule and work plan which is generally done by the contractor. simply using the RS Means methodology and a total number of yards of "earthwork" without detailed planning and scheduling will not result in a realistic price.

A long time ago I subscribed to a Contractor's magazine called "Heavy Equipment" and it featured articles answering your questions. Full of ads too but I learned just as much from them.

I drove my first bulldozer when I was 7 (CAT D3) and my father and grandfather were in heavy construction, so I know my way around the art a bit. I usually defer to the Caterpillar Performance Handbook if I need to get a frame of reference for the model of machine necessary for a job. It's great, and very detailed, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that every contractor can magically conjure any machine in it to do a job. If you're trying to marry up RS Means with actual equipment, though, it's very useful.

That said, I caution against putting together estimates as an engineer, since you run the risk of specifying means and methods to the contractor. Bad form - if their means and methods are crap then you want the liability for the crap to be entirely under their umbrella, and the means/methods are literally what you're asking about here. Get a $/cy number from a couple of contractors as a baseline, stick to it, and issue an "engineers opinion of probable cost" instead of using the term "estimate." Then let the true cost manifest as part of the bid process.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back