Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting "file" button freezes system. Wierd problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj98765

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2008
US
Here's a really weird issue. Up to last week my Sworks 2007 worked just fine. Then some weird conflict started.

I can spin just fine, everything is working fine BUT when I select the "File" button (As in "file -> save" or "file -> XXXanythinXXX")my whole system freezes up for around 30 seconds. After that every time I go near the file button my system freezes. I can continue to work in SolidWorks but if I want to file -> save my part then I have to freeze the system and wait 30 seconds for it to come back.

I was thinking it might be the anti-virus software....I shut it off and it didn't fix the problem. I also switched Sworks to not show thumbnails in files...and that wasn't the fix either.

Any ideas out there. Thanks so much for your help.

-James

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

^ From handleman

You'll have to disable the service. Go to "Services" under "Adiministrative Tools" in the Control panel. Find "Windows Search" in the list. Right-click on it and choose Properties. Set Startup type to "Disabled".

I did that, then I removed it from add remove programs.

If you don't have it in your add remove program list, I don't know what to tell ya.

Thanks Matt.

For some reason "Windows Search" is not in that list on my computer...nor is it in add/remove programs. So weird.

Thanks though!

James

James,

You told me a couple of days ago that you couldn't find the Desktop Search applet in Control Panel, so I suspect it isn't installed and therefore can't be found under administrative services.

Go to add/remove programs and see if it's there (if it is then the registry must be screwed up), remove it and re-boot like Matt said and with luck it will sort out the registry.

Good luck

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2007x64 SP3.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 4Gb Ram ATI FireGL V7100 Driver: 8.323.0.0
SW2007x32 SP4.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 2Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 500 Driver: 6.14.10.7756

James,

Did you try rolling back to a restore point that was before the problem started? Maybe a last resort!

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2007x64 SP3.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 4Gb Ram ATI FireGL V7100 Driver: 8.323.0.0
SW2007x32 SP4.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 2Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 500 Driver: 6.14.10.7756

Thanks all for the assistance. I will try to roll back XP and see if the problem get fixed. I may also try removing (temporarily) SWorks Explorer and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back