Selection of branch fitting, sweepolet or Reducing Tee 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

204ever

Mechanical
Feb 3, 2024
AE
In our project, 2500# CS piping class,

3x2 and 4x2 branch fitting have selected Sweepolet, rather than Reducing Tee as per ASME B16.9, which is more common.

Really confused for the selection of bran fitting selection.

Anyone can help to figure out what's basis, and whether to go for sweepolet or can also select traditional Reducing Tee, and what is the basis

Link

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Need to ask the author.

Sounds like a bit of preferential engineering to me.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

This is high pressure piping and high velocity pipes.

From cost/construction point of view, which is more preferable.

If you do a search on this site you can find more information.

"Sweepolets" I think are a custom made item from one supplier.

Tbh for a 3x2 that really should be a reducing tee IMHO.

Cost and construction is not a major issue here. Your talking two 3" butt welds and a standard tee vs one special high cost fittings and a more difficult fit up and weld. Prob pretty equal at that size.

Both are to the design code so it really comes down to preference.

Reducing Tee is usually preferred in branch tables 1-2 sizes down but guessing selection of sweepolet is due to vibration concerns although I would have thought that would be in lieu of weldolet type not reducing tee.

reasonable is that use sweepolet rather than traditional weldolet. But my question is that compared to reducing tee, what the advantage to use sweepolet? Frankly speaking i never used sweepolet before...

Less welding, especially for the larger main pipe sizes.

Doesn't seem to make much sense at the size you're listing,

I've never used one either.

I’ve never seen sweepolets. There are very few situations I can think for which a sweepolet would be a good solution. The reasons to choose such a solution aren’t addressed in this topic though.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

17074539056430_l4h8rl.png

This is B31.3 High pressure designed class, see snapshot attached from ASME B31.3 Chap. IX. This ask for contoured branch fitting for welded branch connections. However, it's not saying that reducing Tee is not allowed.
Correct me if im wrong.

Originally I thought it was an engineering decision based on possible flow rates differing between a sweepolet and a weldolet.
Then I thought of a possible second scenario.
Branch fittings welded to the run pipe must be CJP but how to confirm ?
Volumetric testing of weldolets is nigh on impossible - RT is out and UT requires special procedures, generally only possible on large bore (or over a specific DN) and a huge amount of branch fittings are small bore.
Then I looked at a sweepolet - 100% radiography is possible.
Food for thought.

Hi

What is the service ? Hydrogen ?

Which code you're using ? ASME B31.3 ?

Piping material ? ASTM A-106 Gr. B ?

Where do you see that Reducing Tee as per ASME B16.9 is more common used for this pressure?

For ASME B31.3 and 2500# CS I use weldolet 3x2 and for 4x2 required weld sean for reinforcement

I tried to check with Bonny Forge ( which are the applications are more suitable for Sweepolet, only refers that " These drawbacks are of increasing concern when high yield pipe is used and for other critical service applications such as nuclear. On softer materials such as A106 Gr. A or Gr. B pipe, the localized areas of high stress tend to be relieved by local yielding and generally do not adversely affect the serviceability of the joint unless cyclic loading is involved or there is a propensity for brittle fracture"

It also refers the code complience. Code to be checked.

If is one case it should not be a issue but if in your project there will many cases where the piping classe are sugesting to use Sweepolet, the piping costs will increase

@ DD and 204; indeed, that might be an implicit use of sweepolets, apart from reducing tees. This also aligns with their more fatigue-resistant design.

Huub

204ever,
IMHO you are fine with reducing tees.

B31.3 300.2
branch connection fitting: an integrally reinforced fitting
welded to a run pipe and connected to a branch pipe by a
buttwelding, socket welding, threaded, or flanged joint;
includes a branch outlet fitting conforming to MSS SP-97.

Again IMHO - branch connections would include sweepolets, weldolets, thredolets, flangeolets etc

Referring to fig. 328.5.4E another might be an extruded outlet. Fig 328.5.4E is referenced under 341.4.3. for severe cyclic conditions, so Im assuming (but maybe someone can confirm) that such a detail is acceptable for chap IX piping (note I wasnt able to find something in chap IX that prohibits 328.5.4E(b)).

Huub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back