Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

selective nickel plating

Status
Not open for further replies.

opticsman

Industrial
Jun 4, 2002
GB
Hi I have a block of metal that i want to electrolessly nickel plate but one face only. I want to precisely coat that face right up to its edges. I wonder if any can advise me what i can use to coat/protect the other faces to make them non conductive. Adhesive tape has been suggested but i am worried that it could peel off during plating. Also because there are fine grooves on these faces tape may not sit down that flat. When plating is done, the coating I use must be easy to remove and not lodge in the fine grooves. i was considering a paint some sort or curable silicone . because it will no doubt spill over the edges, I was hoping i could lightly sand or machine back when cured it to get the sharp edges I need . I hope i have explained the problem ok and would appreciate your suggestions. Many thanks in advance opticsman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Printed circuit board fabrication often use a pink colored "platers tape" that is used to protect surfaces during processing. it removes easily and would fill the small surface features. do no know a source for same.

talk to the nickel platers. I have had good success with plating beryllium and had reasonably good edge conditions

can you clean up the edges post plating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back