Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

self degating gates in split molds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

klank

Mechanical
May 28, 2010
DK
Hello everyone.

is anyone familiar with a method of making a self degating gate (and runner) in a two-cavity split mold?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yes.
I was thinking of either a submarine gate, a tunnel gate or so.
But i don't know how to place it between the splits, so that it will degate when the part etc. is ejected like it does in a normal two plate mold.
if someone could provide a picture of an example to do this, i would be very happy.

A sub gate does not enter the cavity on the parting line. There are numerous examples and diagrams on the internet. See page 15 of this guide.
This guide is specific to acetal, but some general principles cross over to be applied elsewhere.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_US/assets/downloads/processing/DELRIN_Mold_Guide_11_06.pdf
As ornerynorsk has indicated this information is available through raw materials suppliers data.

Most reputable suppliers have similar publications. Also any text book on mould design will have it.

If you have to work with plastics at a design or troubleshooting level, get all the raw materials manufacturers publications you can and read them through.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back