Self-leveling concrete placement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRwals

Structural
Jul 8, 2020
US
Help!
Is there any method to pour self-consolidating concrete along the slope section?
Is this one of most difficult conundrums in the concrete industry?
... Nobody seems to know the solution.

_JRW
SCC-1_m78xk1.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bob: "Hey, I've got this really great product. It makes it impossible to have a slope in your floor!"

Joe: "Great! I have a project that needs a large, sloping surface. Think it could work?"

Bob: "Maybe. Why not?"

What's wrong with this picture?

The only way I can think of is if there was a top to the form for the sloped surface. I would think you would need do come to a flat spot somewhere for that to work and might need it to be a bit higher to ensure concrete gets to everywhere you want at the low point. Seems like a poor application for SCC.

Is the gray area a wall? If it is a wall you can put a sloped form/wood. Or sometimes people use Styrofoam to create this slope but you have to make sure the styrofoam is secured well because it will try to float. You have to pour from the right side where flat. If the SCC is well done, it should fill up all the way to the sloping form. You may see bubbles on the finish of the sloping surface.

You can absolutely do it if you have a form on the top surface (which BTW needs to be designed for the full hydrostatic pressure). I've done this before for various reasons, but you should know if this is an aesthetic application you will get entrapped air bubbles behind the formwork. Just expect to be rubbing with durabond uniplast or similar, and let the owner/architect know!

You did not provide a lot of info. here.. Some questions ;

- Is this a wall or sloped slab?
- What is the reason for the use of SCC?

I would consider the use of conventional concrete ..
If it is must, i would consider adjusting the slump and mix design of SCC or the use of formwork at the top.

Pls look page 54 L-box test of SCC of the following doc.

I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure..It is: Try to please everybody.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=68859442-dd4e-4aee-96b9-6839bee6a613&file=SCC__Guidelines_EU..pdf
Basically this is the intrinsic problem of SCC;
its use is limited only to horizontal surface.
For instance, SCC cannot be applicable to the bridge deck
as its surface should be sloped due to drainage.
So, sometimes SCC can be poured at the bottom layer
and conventional concrete can be poured at the top layer (overlay)
in order to make sloped final surface.
_JRW

Though this can be serious issue in the field,
it is rare to see any paper or article refer to it.
In my opinion, this problem should be clearly solved
in order to make SCC more popular.
_JRW

I think I see what JohnRwals is driving at. My minivan has stow and go seating, which is a marvel to behold, but doesn't have a button to transform into an aircraft whenever I hit gridlock traffic on HWY 401. It's a real problem as my commute gets killed. But I similarly don't see too many papers on the topic. Who decides which projects get funded at research universities anyways?!

I think you're right, Enable. Until that button is introduced into minivans, I'm going to remain a loyal member of the SUV club. But I'd go for a minivan I can fly out of gridlock for sure.

Though, to be fair, some folks have been thinking about it. (This particular company was bought by a Chinese holding company in 2017, received an FAA airworthiness cert for their first model that looks a bit more plane like than car like, and promptly shut down the factory and ran back to China with all the IP.)

Terrafugia-TF-X_yxtywi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back