Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Self locking in Compound spur gear train 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thought2007

Aerospace
Sep 14, 2006
IN
Hello,

I were going through Electromechanical actuator document which is driven by DC Motor with Compound spur gear train.

But the system demands self locking feature after actuator reach 90deg rotation.My Question is there any possibilities of self locking with compound spur gear train (actuator doesnt have worm gear mesh ).

Regards
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thought2007,

Be careful backdriving spur gear trains. I have analyzed some small gearmotors and have worked out that you can accelerate the gearhead output shaft fast enough to overstress the motor shaft. Your armature inertia may be very small, but it is multipied by the square of the gear ratio.

Spur gears do not lock the way high ratio worm gears do. A high ratio spur gear box may appear to be locked because the torque needed to accelerate your armature is more than you can exert by gripping the gearhead shaft with your fingers.

Your final assembly may provide the additional leverage needed to make this physically easy. The problem will not be obvious to whoever is installing it or playing with it.

Critter.gif
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back