Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Self rebooting (resetting) Micrologix 1100

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFburn

Electrical
Jul 31, 2006
CA
Hi all.
We have some Micrologix 1100 PLC's monitoring some remote equipment over an RF link using the Ethernet Port. At the Hub is a WebPort WP4520 polling each site and updating a website and emailing any alarms.

This works fine except sometimes we lose the Ethernet connection for some reason, which isn't a big deal as the remote PLC's are monitoring non-critical (but nice to know) parameters. Mostly the PLC's recover and communications resume's, but sometimes the only way to get them communicating is to drive to the site and cycle the power on the PLC.

I can't find a command within the PLC to reboot it. Does anyone know of an elegant way to self reset a Micrologix 1100 without having some external timers and relays to cycle the power on it.

Its not a programming fault as we have exchanged reliable sites with ones having the comm failure problem and its a site issue. The digital RF links used are T1 and the Ethernet port is not its main function and so is not
supported for what we are using it for. Therefore at the furthest sites where Forward Correction Errors pop up, it seems to drop the Ethernet and concentrate on keeping the T1 running. This is fine as the Ethernet is up 99% of the time. Just sometimes driving a 3 hour round trip to cycle the power is a pain.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might consider the Webrelay:

Although I use it on all remote Windows boxes in order to be able to power cycle/restart a Windows box remotely, I suspect that the use of its ping facility might be able to detect a failed ethernet link. no ping response, no ethernet. The Webrelay is basically an IP addressable relay which one can configure and control via a web page.)

I've never used it, but it's my understanding that a feature called auto-reboot can be configured so that the web relay generates a ping, listens for a response from the PLC and in the absence of a return message or messages, would cycle the its relay/power.

The documentation isn't 'polished', but the device works. Be aware that the drop down choices change depending on selection.

As I recall, when the auto-reboot option is selected, under relay input options, then selections like
- ping a device on periodic basis
- specify IP address,
- specify interval for ping,
- specify # of failed pings that constitutes a fault, - - what a 'reboot' means appear.
appear.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back