Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sell Inventor once purchased? Happy though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirius2

Mechanical
Dec 15, 2002
GB
Hi,

Ive not been round these parts for a bit, so I was wondering if anyone on here knows what happens when it comes to selling Autodesk products after youve used them.

The long story is this:

My Dad has LT2004, but wants to upgrade to the Inventor Series7 (on special offer)but he is unsure about generating enough work for the investment as its only a one man business.

Ive told him its WELL worth the price on offer, but should things not work out in a year or two (or if his business has to close due to lack of work), can you sell your autodesk licence/package to somebody else???

My dads under the impression that once hes baught it and subscribed to it, thats it, he has to write the money off, otherwise its illegal or something.

He's tried asking the Autodesk retailer who wants to provide him Inventor Series, but he's very uncommital about it and generaly avoids talking about it.

Im confident that Inventor is THE tool to be using now and in the future, so please refrain from telling me he should be using solidworks instead! :).
Solidworks is a great tool, but the nature and feel of Inventor will make it king....Solidworks thrashed autodesk's AutoCad 3d late 90's, but now Inventor is the breath of fresh air that SW was all those years ago.:). lol.

I just thought Id wind up the SW guys for a laugh at the end, its been a while!, hahahah. "Wind em up, watch 'em spin" lol.

Thanks a lot for any help here,

Spirit.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is my understanding that once he bought it and registered it, it is his (and only his). SO he would eat it....now if it was never registered or activated that may be a different story. The other side of the coin is that you can sell whatever you want until you get caught :<)

Just like tax deductions --- until you get caught!

I thought that they were offering an &quot;upgrade&quot; license for the Inventor series from LT2004 which would save him some $$$ but I'm not sure about that either. He might consider holding off for a couple months until R8 is released too (the rumor is late November depending on beta testing).

Cheers Mike.

I thought nobody was going to answer me! lol.

Thats pretty poor isnt it? I mean if you pay £8,000 for a second family car and it ends up being hardly used, you can sell it on....perhaps lose a bit of money depreciation cos its not the latest model, but its yours to do with as you please! lol.

Ah well, its a real shame.

The 'upgrade' you mention is the one he's thinking of going for, so would that mean his Inventor would automatically be 'registered'? as its an upgrade. Otherwise he could probably leave it unregged, but how do you go on for upgrades if you do that?.

Thanks again for your reply mike.

Sirius2

Not really sure about how everything would work. And it may be different on that side of the pond. I believe that it doesn't make any difference whether you get an upgrade price or a stand alone price....I think the software package (and registration) is the same. You should get IV R7, MDT 2004, and Acad 2004 mechanical with the entire package.

I would also post this question on the autodesk newsgroup for a better answer. There tends to be more informed feedback there on certain issues like this.

Hi Sirius2,
To make it very short:
Until (including) AutoCAD R12, this type of license sale was permited by Autodesk.
After that they forbide it.
Sorry,
Regards,
GAMAMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back