Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Semi-Processed Electrical Steel Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffriong

Automotive
Apr 2, 2002
US

I've tried a search on the internet and do not have access to any technical manuals (I'm away on business). Does anyone know where I can find technical data on semi-processed electrical steel BEFORE the quality anneal? The material is specifically 26M47. I emphasize the 'before' because there are many sites that list properties AFTER the anneal, but I cannot seem to find data(Core Loss, etc) on pre-annealed material.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the reply and info. I downloaded the spec and it only contains data after the quality anneal. I am particularly interested in an estimate for Core Loss before annealing. Everything I have read states, very, very clearly that when using a semi-processed steel a post-process anneal is required to achieve full magnetic properties. I am dealing with a situation where we are being asked to use semi-processed steel (cost?) but the necessity for the post-anneal vs buying a fully processed steel is being completely overlooked. If I could get my hands on an estimated Core Loss on a non-annealed, semi-process steel I could fortify the need for fully processed steel or, less desireable, a post-process anneal. Thanks again.

Looked in Desk Edition of Metals Hdbk on-line under electric steels resistance alloys but could not find this designation. Also did a search on asminternational.org for 26M47 with zero results.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Is this a magnetically soft material?

Do you know of a few similar alloys that we might find data on for a reasonable comparison?

Here is some more general info:
It is M-47 Semi-processed non-oriented electrical steel.
Gage: 0.0185" +/-0.0020.

I think the 26M47 is a supplier part number in place of an actual standard, my mistake.

ASTM 26S200 is also reference for this material but all of the data I have found for Core Loss is for post-anneal and not pre-anneal which is the number I am looking for.

Thanks.

As I recal (from 20 years ago) the problem with these steels prior to the anneal is that the properties are all over the place. Some are actuall fairly close to the annealed CL (say 20% over) while some are higher by a factor of 3x.
We didn't test a lot of stuff pre-anneal and I don't have any of the data.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back