Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sense check....Spool design

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomAxe

Mechanical
May 13, 2013
GB
I'm modelling a section of 12" pipeline/spools that consist of a straight section of pipe (50m) followed by a 45degree bend and a 100m straight section that ties into a structure (anchored in the model). I have applied 400mm of pipeline expansion to the straight section of spoolpiece. I am looking at the displacements in the model to verify it is moving as expected, but at the 45degree bend and I am getting approx 400mm axial (x) displacement as expected but also up to 350mm displacement in z direction, I thought this may be due to thermal expansion of the other 100m length but I am getting similar displacements for a loadcase consisting of just gravity and pipeline expansion (displacement). What could be causing this? Obviously there will be some movement in the z direction caused by the 100m length of spool downstream of the 45degree bend frictional resistance, but I wouldn't of expected an expansion of 400mm to result in a resultant displacement at the bend of 500mm?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

got a drawing? Please plot the displacements you're giving and receiving too.
Good for verifying the config before wasting a lot of time on this.
Any important temperatures?

Richard Feynman's Problem Solving Algorithm
1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.

Thanks for getting back to me, I figured it out, I had saved the file in a new folder on my desktop and it reset the config file so the ambient temperature was way off what I had initally modelled. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back