Sensitive Pressure switch/transducer with high burst pressure? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERT

Mechanical
Dec 19, 1999
CA
Hi pump fans,

I have an application where I am using a PD pump to pump a viscous liquid/paste at 3000 to 5000 psi out of a drum. I want to put a pressure switch or transducer in the system to monitor the pressure in the drum to see what is going on at the suction end of the pump.

The only practical way I can do this is to splice it into the relief valve bypass line. The challenge is to get a pressure measurement device accurate to within a couple psi in the range of 5 inHg to 3 psig that will not be destroyed by pressure spikes of 5000 psi when the relief valve opens.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

ERT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How will it see 5000 psi? It would be downstream of the relief valve, at the most maybe 100 psi (actually it had better be less than 25 psig).

dcasto,

Good point, except that the purpose of the relief valve is to allow depressurization of the service, it is not meant as a safety feature.

So, my measurements indicate that the relief valve line sizing and length creates spikes of 500 to 1500 psi (hard to measure). I figure it would be proper to get a switch that is capable of the max pump pressure.

ERT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back