Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sensor for measuring web thickness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLCRookie

Industrial
Feb 21, 2006
US
Hello all! This is my first post here, so please bear with me. I am a Manufacturing Engineer and I am looking fo a non-contact sensor to measure the thickness of a Web as it is fed into a machine. The material is a filter type media composed of basically paper fiber. The problem I am trying to solve is that the supplier of the paper is prone to "splice " the roll during production, and this causes us tremendous problems when we try to process it . The splice is almost always overlapped and then taped. This c auses my process to jam severly, resulting in about 20 minutes of downtime on each occurance. If I can detect the splice, and stop the machine, restarting takes about 1 minute. Until QC can resolve the problem with the vendor, I want to install some sensors to detect the thickness difference. The range is about 1mm for a correct piece, anything more than 1.5mm should be detectable. Anyone with experience with this kind of sensor?

All comments greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PLCCOOKIE,
From your description, it sounds as though a simple dancer arm to a limit switch could shut down the machine. Cheap and low tech.

Griffy

PLCRookie

As everyone has said always try for the easy solution, but also TygerDawg mentioned Keyence sensors i have used there sensors and PLCs alot and they are very good easy to set up etc try something like the VG series that keyence do but if you do go down that road speak to a rep and they will be happy to help.

Taggy

Thanks all. I went with the keyence color sensor to make thing easier and more reliable, as the vendor doesn't seem to be able to control his process too well. Other sensor would have done it, but the color sensor worked best for all variations of material and splice colors. It also had 8 setpoint/outputs. I like to overkill when possible!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back