Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sensors for detection of holes in pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

tor451

Nuclear
Mar 30, 2002
AR
Hi. I am researching the possibility of fitting a sensor to an intelligent pig to detect holes in a pipeline usually made with theft purposes.
Does anybody have an idea about the things regularly used for this job? I would appreciate both, commercial and technical ideas.
So far, I'm thinking about infrared or microwave probing.
Thanx alot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

I know of a gas pipeline company that has installed acoustic emission transducers along their piping to detect small leaks. Perhaps AE is one possibility that you should investigate.

Regards, John.

We regularly run Ultrasonic Smart Pigs down our mainlines that detect even small welding Flaws. Perhaps look into Magpie Systems for thier tool. You will have to check up annomalies found to your diagrams.

In our stations we are starting to use Long Wave Ultrasonic sensors that can detect flaws hundreads of feet down burried line and around elbows. Again with that, you would have to check your diagrams for any suspicious finds, but you will find anything that you don't have in your drawings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back