Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Separating Mold Components after Cavity Command

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodwig80

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2004
US
Okey.

I have a part i am going to cast out of aluminum. I will use a three part mold. Think of a fat bottom wine bottle without the bottom wall, and a flanged spout.

So I will have a male mold for the inside and two females for the outside.

I started by placing my part in a new assembly and then making a new part which consisted of a Huge box around my part. Then i hit the mold>cavity command and it hollowed out the box in the shape of my part. So now i have a box which has a void somewhere inside there.

I copied the box file, made like 4 or 5 copies just in case. Now the problem is, how do i go about splitting the male mold for the inside.

It is a free floating part, YET it is one with the box, so i cannot separate it. I am sure this is very simple.

I am running out of ideas, please help. Also, if you think there is a better way to do it, i would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bump. Help please, I cant get it still. I have done the Online tutorial but it wont help.

You need to shut off the ends of your part. There are many different ways to do this. Depending on the part, either a simple cut-extrude or a cut-revolve will do it. If you are using a later version of SWX, then it ask you which body you want to keep. One thing you could do after you figure out what I'm talking about above is the following:

Take this box part with the cavity in it and use it as a base part. ie, open a new part file; Insert,part and browse to your box/cavity part. Then take that base part and remove either the inside or outside using a cut-revolve. When SWX asks you which body you want to keep, pick just one. Then the next time you do it, pick the other one. Eventually you should end up with all of the individual parts you need.

There are other ways to do this as well. Another way would be to rollback your box part to before the cavity feature. Slice the ends off your box at the ends of the part. Then your cavity will end up being 3 separate bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back